SAU Community

New Boot Tray

Fryday13

Right Im not exactly sure If i have the right wording but whatever it is I need a new one, (wooden tray sitting just above spare wheel). Basically once upon a time my boot leaked and made the old wood and carpet rather saggy, so ive chucked them but I want to put in a new piece of wood. I have since siliconed and fixed the leak and dried out the boot but now I want to fit a new wooden piece. It may seem easy but I was wondering if people had a good way to go about this? I was thinking of gluing and stapling the carpet to it so its just one piece but has anyone got some Ye 'olde tricks to measure out the size that im going to need, or by odd chance does anyone have a to scale template for a 95 R33 GTS4 boot? :P

Cheers for your help!

But it would still leave the edges and I was looking at screwing in my sub box to it? Would it be easiest to just measure basic lengths and undercut so I get the general shape without having to keep cutting it down to make it fit

Your gona have to go thicker ply if you want to screw your sub box into it, assuming you have a heavy box with 2 subs. And i would make it so that it was fixed so the box didn't slide around if you wana screw them together. It's totally up to you how you want to do it tho, make it sit flush in there, make it larger and fix it to the floor.

A member on here, Birds, made a thread about this just recently. Called something like "R33 boot install".

Will be more info in there but basically if you want something the size of the whole boot area you will need to make it in sections (or it wont fit in) then either join them together when they're in there or seperately secure each of them to the boot floor...

Personally I would buy a boot carpet from wreckers or here & use that as a template, cut out one piece of wood the right size then cut it into smaller sections to fit it in boot. Would secure (bolt) sides & back, then hinge the section section over spare (if you carry one) for easy access...

Edited by wlspn

Cardboard template first. If you don't have a single bit of cardboard big enough, grab 2 boxes from slabs of beer and staple them into a giant bit. Then Cut it down to the size you need, test fit if it can be removed, etc...

Friend of mine made a basic timber platform that is bolted on top of the spare tyre which the sub them straps to. Couldn't move even if it wanted to.

Just went for a temporary piece of 12mm MDF at 85cmX63cm. Fits in with ease but stays snug, Ive a feeling later on when budget permits I'll go for the proper template and fix it in with a hinge just for ease of use and a cleaner look

• 1 month later...

Just as update quite liking the look, havent carpeted it yet, but am looking into sealing off the boot sides for 2 8" subs and then having a rectangle flap (this time carpeted) to cover spare wheel. Just an Idea at the moment but will post pictures up if I follow through. MDF holds strong for the sub also just make sure your car doesnt leak :P