SAU Community

Harmonic Balancer

DTSNR32

Hey guys,

Couldnt really find the answer to this question. Ive already got a built motor but it has a standard harmonic balancer on it with a chunk taken out of the end. Now from what i know alot of motors need the bottom end to be balanced with the balancer and can only be changed with getting built. My question is will my motor need to be pulled apart before the " dampener " get changed as i know the balancers are just dampeners to remove viabrations from the bottom end. Or can i bolt on a ati or Ross balancer onto the motor as is?

Sorry if it isnt the best of questions

Thanks for your help

Hey guys,

Couldnt really find the answer to this question. Ive already got a built motor but it has a standard harmonic balancer on it with a chunk taken out of the end. Now from what i know alot of motors need the bottom end to be balanced with the balancer and can only be changed with getting built. My question is will my motor need to be pulled apart before the " dampener " get changed as i know the balancers are just dampeners to remove viabrations from the bottom end. Or can i bolt on a ati or Ross balancer onto the motor as is?

Sorry if it isnt the best of questions

Thanks for your help

ATI / Ross balancers are neutral balance Dave. You can put them on to your motor as is.

Edited by R32 TT

The balancers main function really in my opinion is to protect the oil pump (the gears in particular), N1 balancers are an option on a budget (middleground between a stocker and a aftermarket balancer)

The balancers main function really in my opinion is to protect the oil pump (the gears in particular), N1 balancers are an option on a budget (middleground between a stocker and a aftermarket balancer)

Not precisely. Yes it helps protect the oil pump, but it really does bugger all job of protecting it, especially if its 10+ years old. They are a serviceable item, they should be replaced ideally every 100,000km or so.

Their main function is to 'try' and eliminate as many crankshaft harmonics that are created by the engines internal forces. Inevitable with a reciprocating engine - The inline 6 is one of the worst engines for harmonics. The higher the revs, the worse the harmonic issue becomes, Rotaries are far less harmonic.

As well as trying to delete harmonics, they also act as a pulley to drive accessories.

If you have a built engine, and your using a stock design pump and you'll be seeing high RPM constantly. Ideally you should have had the crank shaft/flywheel/clutch pressure plate balanced. And then fitted an ATi balancer at the end. As said earlier, these DONT get balanced as they are already factory zero balanced.

There's a fair bit of info around on this, i spend weeks gathering all the info i needed before buying one. Had no real consideration for harmonic balancers a year ago. But in a high performance engine, especially an inline 6, they come into play, massively. and a 15 year old one doesn't cut it.