SAU Community

Adam's R33 Skyrine

Hybrid-performance-exhaust-manifold.jpg

The last piece of the turbo setup arrived late last week. Country of origin, New Zealand! There’s a mob over there knocking out some decent looking manifolds at very reasonable pricing.

I picked up thisHybrid performance mild steel manifold via EBay for $350 to my door. By the looks of things, the welds are decent, all the ports and collector are relatively clean. It’s well built and doesn’t foul with anything in the engine bay.

How long it lasts though, well we’ll just have to wait and see.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that manifold looks pretty good, just make sure the flange is dead flat otherwise you will be blowing gaskets like no tomorrow, and go for a genuine nissan gasket too, i made the mistake of putting a cheaper one on and it was just more work in the long run, $120 for a brand new gasket from nissan

Ganador-mirrors.jpg

No matter who you ask, Ganadors are the classic of mirrors. Timeless design and a must have on any import.

Though such an appealing mirror has a hefty price tag, and since they could be called a disposable item on a drift car (couldn’t everything be considered disposable on a drift car ?). I didn’t think it was the smartest idea to be forking out $500+ for a genuine set.

So I went for the next best thing. I bought cheapies and modified them to fit the R33. It seems as if Nissan didn’t like “change”. So many things are inter-changable between different chassis’.

In this instance I purchased two sets of Ganador style mirrors to suit an S14, and cut part of the base plate to fit around the R33 frame.

Hey, it’s not perfect and doesn’t have the same design as the OEM base plate, but it works and soon enough you won’t even notice it.

S14-baseplate.jpg

So that’s what the standard base plate looks like on an S14. This is what needs to be done to make it fit the R33.

Modified-baseplate.jpg

The finished product? I think it looks dope on Benny’s car.

Bens-R33-2.jpg

So any R33 owners out there thinking about some new mirrors that won’t break the budget. This is ideal for you!

Make it fit!

Love this build thread mate, Car seems to have come along a fairway since you got it :D . Especially love the stick bombed dash and inserts. How much power is it making now man?

Cheers dude!

Yeah I have done quite a bit to it since I bought it, and I'll got a shitload more to do haha.

It's making nothing at the moment haha, would have to drive it flinstone styles if I wanted to move it anywhere.

Hoping to make a start on the new setup in a few weeks.

Power-enterprie-HKS-copy.jpg

Since the VCT has been disabled on the new engine going into the R33. I have been hunting around for a HKS intake cam gear, to match the exhaust gear on the old engine. Without having much luck I spotted a set for sale on Hard tuned for cheap.

For that little bit more the seller chucked in a Power enterprise kevlar timing belt too, nice!

While were at it, here’s a shot of the new engine getting built.

Fresh-RB25.jpg

Not long now!

Geared up

Edited by Run-It-Hard

Brovara-towing-R33.jpg

Today I went to Power Play and had a chat to Ali to figure out a plan for the Skyline build. He then told me that we’ve got to sort it out sooner than later as they are shutting up shop in a few weeks time.

“f**k, this changes everything” I thought all the way home. So I sent a quick text to biggie to see if we can get the ball rolling sooner. Mr. Boss baller comes along later that day with the Brovara and we slapped the R33 on his trailer. What a champ!

Old-RB25.jpg

A little while later we have the R33 in Power Play’s workshop. We all start ripping into it like no tomorrow. Soon enough everything was disconnected from the engine and gearbox.

Nick-posing.jpg

Here we have Nick pretending to look busy while Biggie and Ali lift the old engine out of the shell.

Old-RB.jpg

A few minutes later it was out, nice and smooth. Oh, I think it’s safe to say that my clutch was f**ked. Looked to be an Exedy clutch on a standard flywheel/pressure plate.

exedy-.jpg

The old RB finally out of the car, everything came out so quick. I’m really glad we’re not doing this in the garage!

Old-RB1.jpg

A big thanks for Biggie heading out on short notice, taking the Skyline to Power Play and sticking around to get the engine out, Ali and Jo for letting us come on short notice and wrech into the night, and Paulie/Nick for the helping hands.

Oh I can’t forget Khoa and Hieu for helping us push the boat onto the trailer too ha ha.

bare-enginebay.jpg

The ball is finally rolling huh? the new engine will probably be completed this week, if all the parts arrive in time. I need to sort a few parts out too, like new engine mounts. The old ones litterally fell off when we touched them.

It’s going to be an action packed couple of weeks!

The game changer

I had no choice on what went into the engine. It was partially built before I looked at it.

It was actually getting built for someone else and he bailed half way through. There are some nice parts in it though.

good old copy/[paste

new teflon coated nissan pistons (n1 spec)

shot peened and treated rods

arp head studs

port polish / flow matched head

n1 water pump

nismo oil pump

aftermarket bearings

new gaskets

pressure tested

full balanced

crack tested.

rebuilt head (3 grind, re seat etc etc)

vct removal

GTR cams

maybe GTR rocker covers

There's a few more bits and bobs that we are doing to it but yeah that's the jist of it.

main reason why I bought it is the price! I got it for a little more than a 2nd hand engine.

Edited by Run-It-Hard

Yeah should be able to handle a little more power then standard too which would be nice. Only want around 300kw though. I say that now but I'm sure I'll keep chasing it haha.

The good thing is I'll be able to find out what exactly went wrong with the old engine, I'm thinking I bought it with the problem and it just got worse each time I was on the track.

Hybrid-performance-exhaust-manifold.jpg

The last piece of the turbo setup arrived late last week. Country of origin, New Zealand! There's a mob over there knocking out some decent looking manifolds at very reasonable pricing.

I picked up thisHybrid performance mild steel manifold via EBay for $350 to my door. By the looks of things, the welds are decent, all the ports and collector are relatively clean. It's well built and doesn't foul with anything in the engine bay.

How long it lasts though, well we'll just have to wait and see.

Nice build thumbsup.gif

are you able to link me to the ebay seller you bought the manifold off? i have looked but can not find it.

cheers

Nismo-engine-mounts-solid-gearbox-mount.jpg

With not long until the new RB25 is destined to go into my R33′s engine bay. I started organising the remaining parts for the build.

Seeing how worn the standard engine mounts were, I opted for a pair of Nismo items. The gearbox mount was in alright condition, but I decided to go for a solid mount instead. As the shifter had quite a bit of movement before (probably becuase of the rooted engine mounts).

Nismo-Tilton-clutch.jpg

The Nismo/Tilton twin plate I ordered through Jesse Streeter arrived today, as did the KTS clutch pivot. The clutch is a little dirty, but has plenty of meat on it which is the main thing.

KTS-pivot.jpg

I’ve still got a few things on the way which all should be there by the end of the week.

Let's get busy!