SAU Community

Adam's R33 Skyrine

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup BN Sports kit with modded standard front gaurds, veilside 50mm rears, bonnet vent, drift lip spoiler, custom tail light covers, blah blah. howd you get on with your extended lca? did you need to get longer tie rods? cheers

The man himself!

I put in some KTS inner/outer tie rods the same time I put the LCA's in. They are a little longer than standard too. But I don't know if I could run the LCAS without them sorry dude.

yup BN Sports kit with modded standard front gaurds, veilside 50mm rears, bonnet vent, drift lip spoiler, custom tail light covers, blah blah. howd you get on with your extended lca? did you need to get longer tie rods? cheers

what is done to the front guards?

leaving-matsuri.jpg

The 14th of November was finally in town. Mad Monday was here! Ben, Khoa and I got up at 6am eager to head out to Wakefield. We waited for another mate (Anthony) to rock up before heading out. It was a long journey, probably the longest I’ve driven the Skyline in one trip, It wasn’t too bad of a drive either which is good.

Anyway, after stopping for fuel (for both the cars and us) we got to Wakie around 9am. We unpacked our shit, signed in and passed scrutineering rather quick. This was the moment we have waited for. Lining up in pit lane to take on Wakefield.

The first few laps I was getting a feel for the track, then let loose. I really like the back section up the hill (turns 3,4,5 and 6). After our first session I rolled into pit lane and the car shut off, “Uh-oh”.

My oil pressure problem was still lingering around, in fact it was getting worse. So I let the car cool down for an hour or so before heading out again.

I felt it was time to take the car out again and see how it goes. Anth kept telling me to watch the pressure ”If your loosing pressure when giving it, bring it back to the pits”.

Again, went around the track a few times and let loose, after turn 6 I started watching the oil pressure and it was fluctuating alot, dropping lower and lower. On went the hazards and I drove it into pitlane. Once again the car turned off so I left it there for 20 minutes or so.

We then grabbed a bite to eat at KFC, and I was stressing out (as you would). We then came back and cranked the car over to see what was going on.

Started perfect, but had sweet f**k all pressure (1-2psi), We then noticed a tapping sound. So we killed the engine and got it towed home.

In other news, Benny drove like a boss! getting better and better each session. His car didn’t miss a beat. Me jelly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPPRLkoS4Bk

In the video above, it was the first start since Wakefield. As you can hear, the tapping noise goes away. My main theory to what it was, was the lifters not sufficiently lubricated from the low oil pressure. Thankfully it sounds like that’s all it is.

Which means my engine has a chance at being ok. For the curious, the oil pressure during that vid was 20PSI. Pretty damn low. So the plan of attack this weekend is to fit a new oil pump, to see if that cures the low oil pressure problem.

I’m really pushing hard to get to Matsuri, and the good ol’ RB is giving me hope.

Yeah aftermarket gauge dude. Stocker doesn't work and are rubbish anyway.

Yeah here's hoping. I started it again last night and the sound is completely gone. I've had a car where the bearings shit themselves on me and yeah the sound only gets worse the longer the engine is on.

I'm going to drop the oil out tonight and see if theres anything interesting in it. If not then I think we'll be right.

What else can cause a problem liek this? oil pickup, failed Oring?

Well you have to drop the sump to change the pump anyhoo, so have a look at the pickup while you are there :)

Your new pump should arrive today...been sitting in a draw for a while so give it a good clean before you put it in (didnt have time to clean any dust out before I sent it sorry)

Hope it all goes well

IMG_2710.jpg

The final piece of the puzzle arrived today, express posted from the ACT to my work. I got the front crank seal and gasket prior. Before the scheduled tear down on Saturday, I wanted to drain the oil to see if anything was in it.

Shortly after crawling under my R33, I had a look around the current oil pump installed on the RB25. Surprise surprise, there’s oil all over it, and managed to drip on part of the sump too.

IMG_2701.jpg

Another thing I noticed was my power steering resivor. I guess I better get my power steering cooler in soon huh?

IMG_2704.jpg

Oh right, the oil. I ran a magnet through it after draining, and it came up with no metal shards which is great! Here’s hoping the new pump sorts out the oil pressure issue.

New pump is in, but it didn't sort the issue. So I've pulled out of Matsuri and I'm expecting to either replace, or rebuild the engine at this stage.

Alloy rad was a champ, didn't go over 90 degrees but then again I wasn't giving it too much stick either.

There's a little missing before this post, but when I get a chance I'll do some updates to the blog. I've been rushing around franticly to get out to Matsuri this Saturday!

So, managed to get the head off tonight. Suspisions confirmed, headgasket is a goner. Interesting reason towards it though.

I don't know how, or why it would happen. But the head and block have been elongated in two parts (both on the passenger side). I'm guessing snapped head bolts or what not. So it makes me think why the head has been off in the first place. The piston tops look amazingly clean for a suspected 140k engine ... hmm.

Anyway, so the holes were elongated and a inner ring was placed in there to fill the new OD. But whoever has fitted this has also elongated the head gasket to suit. The photo below is probably where it failed, as it's right next to the water/oil jackets. So yeah as soon as we pulled the head gasket off and touched the enlongated part, the copper washer built into the gasket fell out.

28l83kw.jpg

So the plan of attack is to get another pair of inner rings in the same dimensions, cut two down to suit the block and leave the current two in the head. That way it'll still bolt together without needing to chop up the head gasket.

I need to get this car back together by tomorrow night if I have any chance of getting to Matsuri.

Fit inner rings, headgasket etc.

Reassemble head

Install manifolds

correct timing

change fluids a few times to get all the shit out of the system

Skids

Wish me luck boes!

lol, yeah I was talking about the dowel, stupid me.

Anyway, managed to get it all back together on the friday night. Fired it up and it was hunting for idle so we pulled the pin and headed out without my 33.

Got home yesterday afternoon, pulled the throttle body and intercooler piping off and saw that the plenum was missing those little rubber gaskets.

might fix that this week if I get the chance, then see what happens I spose.