SAU Community

Omg! I Need Cruise Control!

Ruxis

Hey guys,

just drove to newcastle and back in under 24 hours to have a look around as im moving up there next year,

my girlfriend is moving 5 months before me so im going to be driving it ALOT and after that drive i really need cruise control, my lower back in absolutely killing me!! (im only 20)

has anyone done this mod? i couldnt find it in search bar.

i need to know, how much it costs, how hard it is to fit and pointed in the direction of a good unit.

just looking for a cheap and easy option seeing as ill probly be fitting it into atleast two cars.

Hey guys,

just drove to newcastle and back in under 24 hours to have a look around as im moving up there next year,

my girlfriend is moving 5 months before me so im going to be driving it ALOT and after that drive i really need cruise control, my lower back in absolutely killing me!! (im only 20)

has anyone done this mod? i couldnt find it in search bar.

i need to know, how much it costs, how hard it is to fit and pointed in the direction of a good unit.

just looking for a cheap and easy option seeing as ill probly be fitting it into atleast two cars.

it can be done easy, nissan failed , they forgot that option..lol remember a hi power car on wet roads and cruise control is a dangerous mix even with 4 wheel drive on GTR. ?

I often wish mine had it but know its a bit dangerous if the boost hits on a bump or slippery roads. even with traction control on you could be in the trees in seconds

your back hurting would be more of the seat and or too stiff suspension. jap coilovers are really setup stiff they have smooth roads . my Bilstiens coilovers are shocking and have been setup reduced even. my GTT seats and my large frame dont match. I bought new ones , or if you have really tall rims and low profile tyres it trashes the ride quality too

australia has some horrible roads , the dirt ones are smoother sometimes.

i wouldnt do cruise control on a stick shift skyline, autobox maybe if not modded up a lot

i got a stock gtt, manual, stock wheels.

hmm yeah i thought that too but i spose i could move my legs around if i had the cruise control.

it wouldnt me to dangerous on a dry day in 5th gear would it??

the syd-newcastle fwy is an aweful road!!! an hour and a half of a steady foot. aweful!!!!!!!

the other option is buying a second car, ive been looking at the honda jazz. think that would be more comfortable??

i would prefer not to drive the skyline every fortnight for 600ish kms hah

thats my fun car! not my broken back car!

I'm not a fan of cruise control but when time/funds permit I'll be fitting cruise to the 32.

Nothing flash, just an AP60 and apart from the "on" switch, I'll only use a "set" button mounted on the gearstick.

Clutch and brake switches will be the kills.

Was concerned the vacuum style of cruise would give problems with a turbo engine but no, they work fine.

Been in Skylines a lot and unless you're Danny Devito, your legs will soon rub the paint off the driver's arm rest and your leg will cramp from holding the accelerator UP.

On the highway they just want to go faster as they're so smooth from 3000rpm on.

I'm not a fan of cruise control but when time/funds permit I'll be fitting cruise to the 32.

Nothing flash, just an AP60 and apart from the "on" switch, I'll only use a "set" button mounted on the gearstick.

Clutch and brake switches will be the kills.

Was concerned the vacuum style of cruise would give problems with a turbo engine but no, they work fine.

Been in Skylines a lot and unless you're Danny Devito, your legs will soon rub the paint off the driver's arm rest and your leg will cramp from holding the accelerator UP.

On the highway they just want to go faster as they're so smooth from 3000rpm on.

try a light rear end turbo power car on a hill in wet weather or bumpy roads, the boost comes on and your sideways(on cruise you need a traction cutout but it will be too late by then IMO) . Im 6'2 and sunroof in my car lowers the roof a lot. the seats are made for someone 5'3 ??so I feel your pain on space ... just take a break , a cruise is fine for a 4cyl camry but not a skyline turbo

This might come in handy. (I drive an auto skyline - so I imagine it will be much easier to install)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CRUISE-CONTROL-AP60-UNIVERSAL-DIY-KIT-NEW-WARRANTY-/260850094810?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Remote_Controls&hash=item3cbbe092da

I typed "universal cruise control" into google.

Love my cruise control in my gtt.

If you are coming to an unfamiliar crest click it off for a few seconds if it comes on boost then reset

If you are driving the same roads day in day out you can can predictict the cars reaction.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be missing something crucial here.:blush:

Correct me if I'm wrong, the cruise control is basically looking for a set number of pulses from either the ecu speed signal, or a magnetic pick up.

If the car came on boost and started to wheelspin or accelerate wildly, this would manifest in an increase in pulses; exactly what the cruise control is there to correct. Would this then not result in the cruise control releasing the throttle; thus eliminating the problem? Or is it more a case of the speed that the cruise control reacts?

Surely you guys aren't driving cars with so much power and response that they break into spontaneous wheelspin at 110km/h in top gear?:blink:

I would have thought an auto would actually be more of a risk for "surging" due to their ability to kick down a couple of gears unaided and end up on boost; versus a manual which will be more likely to labour a little.

When driving cars with cruise, I tend to give a little manual throttle on the lead up to a decent incline; to help it along, as they often fall off the torque curve before realising they need to increase the throttle opening to maintain the set speed, by which time speed has dropped by 10 -15 km/h. This is when you tend to see cruise control making aggressive throttle adjustments.