SAU Community

Billowing White Smoke

tomgtr

If I pull the head off what would I be looking for? Like detonation and symptoms? Cheers, also it's hit adjustable cam gears etc, can these parts be salvaged for another rb?

um...when you say its hit adjustable cam gears....what are you meaning?

Given cylinder 5 has 0 comp and 4 has only 15psi there is no way on this side on gods good green earth you will be putting those pistons backin with just new rings, if your lucky you will be able to bore out the damage at 40thuo either way at best you will be up for over sized pistons rings HG etc etc, and really why would build a motor and not pay the extra for forged items, suddenly $1500-$2000 for a good condition motor will be cheaper and then can be resold once forged motor built

My last 32 motor had 30psi in cylinder 5 and there was 1cm of the ringlands just gone and a scratch on the bore that wouldn't come out, my guess to get 0psi then he has had the piston and valve come together

Also the fact that he asked if the cam gears can be reused is a sign he is a complete nooob, so another reason why a rebuild would be a bad option.

Also the fact that he asked if the cam gears can be reused is a sign he is a complete nooob, so another reason why a rebuild would be a bad option.

Noob to skyline scene, yes kind of, I have previously owned a na r31,

I'm not really interested in doing any machine work to this engine at the moment as cash is tight, thinking I'm just going to drop in a wrecker for now aslong as I can find a decent one, as for a rebuild I was wondering iffy adjustable cam gears could be damaged at all from the engines current issues? Yes I'm a noob but I have worked on a lot of cars and as it's a daily drifter one day dedicated, I've been looking into building a 25/30, if my top end just needs a rebuild. But all with time to come, I'll get some pic's up as soon as I can. All the suspensions set up already it's just the engine left

I had a similar issue years ago and it was a f**ked couple of gaskets. Check for leaks

Do you remover anything specific? A mate has a r33 gtr and reckoned it at popped a couple valve stem seals, if it had could this cause low comp?

The fact that it's blowing white smoke and has zero compression in one cylinder says you have burnt a hole in the piston and the others have cracked ring lands

Before jumping the gun, pull the head off and take a look, it could just be the head gasket blown between 4 and 5 which would explain little to no compression between 2 adjoining cylinders.

If Head gasket looks OK around the sealing ring, look at the bore, if that looks OK start pulling pistons and inspecting them.

Before jumping the gun, pull the head off and take a look, it could just be the head gasket blown between 4 and 5 which would explain little to no compression between 2 adjoining cylinders.

If Head gasket looks OK around the sealing ring, look at the bore, if that looks OK start pulling pistons and inspecting them.

Ok will do and I'll grab some photo's to report back,

Quick question guys while I was pulling stuff to get the head out I noticed my rocker covers are held down by Phillips head screws? I've done many gasket changes before but never have I seen Phillips head screws used for any particular part of an engine besides clamps etc, are rb's like this standard, I wouldn't imagine so but not 100% sure, I pulled the paper work I got with it and it's say all the bolts where replaced at a shop in seven hills, but why would they use Philips heads instead of 8mm hex heads for the rocker covers?

Quick question guys while I was pulling stuff to get the head out I noticed my rocker covers are held down by Phillips head screws? I've done many gasket changes before but never have I seen Phillips head screws used for any particular part of an engine besides clamps etc, are rb's like this standard, I wouldn't imagine so but not 100% sure, I pulled the paper work I got with it and it's say all the bolts where replaced at a shop in seven hills, but why would they use Philips heads instead of 8mm hex heads for the rocker covers?

• 1 month later...

Okay guys taken some time but have finally gotten around to pulling the head off today, all the pistons except for 3 look in decent condition, 3 has marks on ether side of the piston but no visible marks to the bore, all the valves seam to be fine haven't pulled them put to inspect yet tho. I'll try post some pics up