SAU Community

Help! loud screeching noise when starting R33

Car is a S2 R33 GTS25T Manual... Everytime I start the car there is a reaaally loud screeching sound coming from what seems to be under the car on the driver's side. Definitely not the fan belt... it was coming from what seems like the rear of the engine bay. But after the initial noise, it goes away... any ideas? Thanks!

timing belt maybe loose ..... when i had a new one put in it stretched and came loose ....i sent one of the apprentice mechanics to investigate ... my car was parked two blocks away the mechanic started and my boss goes "Geezus what is that sound?" it was that loud! so get it checked cos you dont want it falling off!

Starter motor

could be on its way out.. could have dust in it.... best to get someone to look at it...

This is what it most likely is. Quite a common problem in skylines. Not a big deal. Starter motor MAY be on its way out but most likely has dust in it and will still last.

Guest MFX_R33

It wouldn't be a slipping timing belt, cause if that slips your engine will go by by....

Just sounds like a slipping fanbelt, nothing more serious than that (My RB25 180sx does the same thing every time I start it up, I just havn't been bothered fixing it yet!).

Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally got it sorted out.. so it indeed was the starter motor. My Japanese is crap but it was something about the starter motor sticking in longer than it was supposed to.. causing the noise. Just needs to get cleaned and greased up again and it should be ok. thanks for all the input!

oh and just for anyone reading this in the future the sound was coming from what seemed to be like under the driver's side of the car.

Ahh took it to the dealership that I got the car from (here in Japan). I got a year's warranty with it so it isn't costing me anything..but from what I've heard it shouldn't be too much. I didn't take it out but perhaps if you did and then brought it there it would save you some $$ on labor as all they would have to do is clean/rebuild as opposed to taking it out themselves (which can be a pain if I read correctly). Don't know why but they wanted it there for two full days so I pick it up tomorrow. I think that's more because they were backed up with lots of cars.. not because it really takes that long. hope that helps.. good luck!

My 1991 r32 GTS does this about every 5 starts.. almost sounds as though i'm holding the key on too long, but i'm not..

Might try checking the slackness in the belts, anyway just to make sure

if the front bush in a starter lets go, its metal rubbing on metal. As for sticking in, the solenoid on top controls that, so either your voltage may drop (ups the amps drawn to compensate) and arcs the contacts together, or there is a starter relay in your car somewhere thats a bit sticky.

Sumo

• 3 weeks later...

I still think it's the timing belt or fan belt! But not sure!

It last for 5 - 8sec every COLD start!

so, any one know how to clean out "starter motor" if it is? and how much?

If I need to tighten the fan belt, how do i do it also? Appreciate any kind of help !!!