SAU Community

R32 Power Steering Belt Woes

Luke HCR32

The power steering belt on my 1992 R32 GTS-T is becoming intolerably noisy, finally got around to having a crack at swapping it but not having any luck.

I've printed an R32 engine manual which showed me where the tensioning bolt is but turning the bolt a long way in either direction does not seem to effect the tension on the belt.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know for sure which way the tensioning bolt should be turned to release the tension?

If I were to cut the belt would it be possible to soak the new one in hot water so I can stretch it onto the pulleys (similar to the trick people use with fuel hose) or would this damage the belt?

Any tips with pics if needed would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Luke

I undid two bolts behind the pulley but apparently one was incorrect as I then snapped the tensioning bolt, all fixed now though, figured out what all the bolts actually do and replaced the tensioner.

For future reference the two bolts which need to be loosened in conjunction with the tension bolt are:

One bolt in top left of pump (as you stand at front of car looking into engine bay) this allows the pump to pivot relative to the engine block.

One bolt about half way along the thread of the tensioning bolt (and just above it) which allows the tension bolt to pivot.

Both of these are partially obscured by the pulley itself.

• 1 month later...