SAU Community

R32 Gtst Running Rich

well i did a oil seal on my turbo , after putting the new one on cleaning all the oil out of my intake pipes, i cleaned the amf sensor, and soon as i went around the corner and hit boost the the car started spittin black smoke and runnign rough, I cheacked all sensors and borrowed a few off a mate, every sensor was great, i didnt check the cooling temp sensor, so i did research asked about , if the cars cold and i drive it and let idle idles great until car warms up. ( only take 30 seconds if that ) any ways i took the punt and yes it was the cooling temp sensor, the cooling temp sensor reads the car engine temp, any ways when they are f**ked they read a nutral degree ( zero) and as ypu wopuld all know a car engine is a lot hotter lol, so they cts is telling the computer to pump fuel in to make it combust to make the engine warmer,

wheres the cooling temp sensor ??

the ecu only receives input from the o2 sensor once the system reaches operating temp. if the sensor is dodgy its gonna run rich, if you unplug it it will run rich so i dont see the point in that test.

get the car to operating temperature hook up a voltmeter to the sensor, a working sensor should fluctuate between 0-5v.

,but could be dodgy injecor, leaky injector seal, dodgy fpr, dodgy maf, temp sensor, vac leak boost leak, dodgy wiring.

would taking it to a tuning place help or would it be worth trying to find the fault myself ? so far ive spent 600 on splitfires after cartoys said thats what the problem was, i dont want to replace all the sensors in my car before finding the problem and thousands later. Im under the impression that they can hook their computers up n find the faults quickly but i dunno

• 2 months later...

hey ive just bought another stock o2 sensor, im confused because i have a stock dump pipe and the original o2 sensor is factory yet my replacement o2 sensor is the same as my old one in every way BUT the thread on the new one has a much smaller diameter than my old one so it just drops in the hole and cant be tightened, anyone heard of this before ??

the new one and the old one are identical in shape and size, the plug is also exactly the same but i'd say that there's bout 5mm difference in the thread diameter.

the replacement which is too small to screw into my dump pipe says NGK 205 JAPAN on it, below that on the nut, it says 2E21.

cant see what the old one says on it because it's in the car n i can only ever undo it with a rattle gun

R32s take a sensor with 12mm thread, R33s and beyond take 18mm threaded sensors. It's possible you either have a stock dumppipe from a R33/R34 or it's an aftermarket dump that looks stock?