SAU Community

motec vs Power Fc

Maxx

im looking at the motec m600 which can be brought for around $3200 and the additional features (launch control, anti-lag etc) for a extra $550. I want to piggy back it to my standard ecu. Are there any other extras needed? Also comparing to the haltech piggy backed, is the installing and up and running costs much different?

I think the FC is the way to go unless your looking to go extreme with the setup. And even then the limiting factor of 4 injector channels will affect the drivability.

When paring 2 injectors on each channel there are 2 methods. One is common and uses cylinders in firing order (1,5, 3,6, 2,4) and requires the ecu be capable having programmable injection sequencing. I have no idea if a motec can do this but considering all the hype about how great they are, i'd say probably. This way you can still run large injectors and have a sane AFR at low engine speeds, and a good idle quality. 1/2 the injectors fire where they would with a fully sequential system, and the other 1/2 are fired 60 crankshaft degrees earlier than they need to be but it still runs because the fuel just sits in the manifold on the back of the intake valve till its drawn into the engine.

The alternate method of wiring paired injectors uses the same pairs as the waste spark ignition, and fires all injectors twice per 720 degree crank rotation. This is batch fire operation, and means unless your running small injectors you cant get a small enough injector pulse width to still get good atomisation of fuel, and have a good AFR at idle. So your idle will suffer with a big injector system.

Parallel wire in's are complicated, but i think really worth while doing if its done right. Especially if your trying to get away with running a fully programmable ecu in a car in a state where aftermarket ecu's are illegal.

I heard about a parallel wire in system on a skyline that would pass all the tests the police could do on it. Unplug the ECU and it wont start.. (aftermarket management gets power from ECCS relay). Unplug MAF sensors causes limp mode... (programmable input from MAF sensors to auxilary on aftermarket ECU triggers a run rich and rev limit function). I am told that police are doing these checks in Victoria on modified vehicles.

A simple parallel wire in would just pinch signals from the temp sensors, throttle sensor, and CAS. In most cases i think the CAS sensor will require a special opto-isolated input interface module of sorts so it doesnt mess with standard ecu operation.

Edited by Vspec R33

im interested in the m600 which has 6 injector drives. Power fc dont cut it as im running no afm and have extensive mods. I further need the connection the the pc and wiring loom. So installing and tunning would be no different to any other piggy back ecu and have similiar cost i assume?