SAU Community

What power can i expect?

Hey Team,

Have my car booked in for a tune next month, just wondering what HP everyone would expect ill make..

Engine is S2 RB25DET good compression, only mods are:

-Yellow jacket coils

-S15 Spec R injectors 440cc?

-Tomei adjustable fuel reg

-Walbro 350 L/HR Fuel pump (Hard wired)

-Complete 3" straight pipe exhaust, no mufflers

-Cold air intake 

-FMIC

-Apexi power FC 

Everything else is standard, im hoping for around 200-220kw is this a reasonable goal?

To carry on from Duncan's valuable observation....

Standard turbo will not likely exceed 200rwkW at the maximum sensible boost pressure, which is only ~12 psi on these turbos.

The yellow coils have a better than even chance of pissing you off as soon as the boost exceeds 10 psi. These are not a good choice. You'd be well advised to f**k them off before you go to the dyno so you don't waste their time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Standard turbo will not likely exceed 200rwkW at the maximum sensible boost pressure, which is only ~12 psi on these turbos.

The yellow coils have a better than even chance of pissing you off as soon as the boost exceeds 10 psi. These are not a good choice. You'd be well advised to f**k them off before you go to the dyno so you don't waste their time.

Sorry forgot to add it has a Apexi boost controller, tuner said will likely set it around 10psi

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Tuner said hes had good results with yellow jackets, engine come with some sh1ty ebay coils so just happy there gone

Is there a problem with the RB ones? as my S14 has been running Yellow jackets for going on 8 years now @14psi and never missed a beat  

9 minutes ago, SNL said:

tuner said will likely set it around 10psi

In that case, ~190 rwkW, at best. Probably less, because not Neo.

6 minutes ago, SNL said:

Tuner said hes had good results with yellow jackets

Well, if he's willing to risk his/your time on the dyno, then who am I to complain?

7 minutes ago, SNL said:

engine come with some sh1ty ebay coils

There is no difference between yellow jackets and "shitty ebay coils". Same same.

7 minutes ago, SNL said:

my S14 has been running Yellow jackets for going on 8 years now @14psi and never missed a beat

That is a very rare result.

As gtsboy already stated. The yellow jackets may cause you issues. Probably be ok at that power and boost level if spark plugs are gapped down to 0.6mm but still a risk and could potentially mean tuning doesn't get completed on first attempt, costing you more $. I'd replace them.

I'd estimate around 190rwkw with your listed mods.

To get more power reliably, you'll need at least a high flow turbo, will get you up to (250-260kw safely) but you'll  possibly need to upgrade your AFM and injectors. S15 injectors are good for around 230-240rwkw. Could just run enough boost to keep them happy.

Before you know it, you're running E85, big turbo, twin gates, blah blah 500rwkw 40k later. Yep do that lol 😂

4 hours ago, SNL said:

Tuner said hes had good results with yellow jackets, engine come with some sh1ty ebay coils so just happy there gone

Is there a problem with the RB ones? as my S14 has been running Yellow jackets for going on 8 years now @14psi and never missed a beat  

fun fact first there was nissan coils then splitfire, then yellow jacket sent the drawings to china and then came the copies everything after splitfire is ebay. I wouldn't think its needs a tune, but if you want to see what it does and clean it up a guess 180-190rwkw, a z32 maf would be wise to use with your power fc and make a full 80mm intake 14 psi should get close to 200-220rwkw. 

1 hour ago, morboost said:

fun fact first there was nissan coils then splitfire, then yellow jacket sent the drawings to china and then came the copies everything after splitfire is ebay. I wouldn't think its needs a tune, but if you want to see what it does and clean it up a guess 180-190rwkw, a z32 maf would be wise to use with your power fc and make a full 80mm intake 14 psi should get close to 200-220rwkw. 

A tune is always a good idea. Especially when changing injectors and pumps.

with a stock turbo he won’t make that much 

Sorry seems ive missed a bunch of stuff lol, it is currently running a Z32 AFM which came with the Power FC.

Pulsar turbo and R35 Coil swap was definitely on the list of things to sort in the near future, but for now i just want to get some seat time as i was just running the DE before which done me well at a few drift days learning the ropes, this set up will be plenty for a few more events and im sure like anything will no doubt snow ball into a nasty build   

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

To be fair, you can make over 200 rwkW. It's just a question of whether it is until tomorrow or the day after.

Back in the day there was a few of us with 180-200kw R33 GTSTs being very reliable for road and track day use for years.....but then 400 became the new 200 and 600 became the new 400 and everyone has expensive, broken projects.

There is nothing wrong with a lightly modified standard setup for years of reliable fun

understood....I was running 12 psi on the standard turbo for 180kw....standard intercooler, intake, ECU etc just an exhaust.

Oh, and some nice big sticky tyres

11 hours ago, Duncan said:

understood....I was running 12 psi on the standard turbo for 180kw....standard intercooler, intake, ECU etc just an exhaust.

Oh, and some nice big sticky tyres

that's how I did it 14psi and rich jap chip few clicks of the cas till it didn't ping exhaust intercooler intake, no dyno the open road was testing, b road bruiser -  r33 gtst are great GT cars, refer nissan add

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyYMr_ATNJ8

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thought i would update, Made 180Kw, 303Nm.

VCT no really working properly, and turbo oil seal starting to go, something to work towards 😃

Cheers everyone 

Edited by SNL
Missed some stuff

7 minutes ago, SNL said:

VCT no really working properly

Would only affect the low end, not the outright power produced.

Also 180kW is about right for a stock turbo, you could push a bit more boost and make 190~200kW then hours later (maybe minutes) be ready to buy a new turbo lol.