SAU Community

Exhaust System For Gt-R

RCCC

Akrapovic make awesome exhausts, infact I have one on my Ducati. It's just the very unreasonable $4.5k for GT-R cat back that puts people off.... GT-R tax at its very best.

Edited by Wardski

Well its not really just GTR tax, Akrapovic charges high for all their exhausts. Its about establishing a premium brand, and just like all premium brands are they overpriced? Yes. However you get the best quality, the exclusivity and IMO best sound too.

Worth the extra outlay? Well if the GTR is your dream car and you want the very best parts for it, yeah for me it is. In the process of sourcing one now.

90% of the extra sound in a catback system comes from going catless in the midpipe - thus best bang for buck exhaust mod is midpipe only

the best sound (and power) comes when you go catless on the downpipes, and you won't really understand how much better it sounds until you do it

muffler only is really just increasing the volume of a bottle knecked system. I know because i did my exhaust in 3 stages - catless midpipe (great sound), muffler (slight increase volume only) and lastly catless dp's (complete change in tone, more raspy, more burble crackle/pop on overun, significantly improved turbo spool)

i was initially looking at spending 7k on the amuse system but what stopped me is the GTR tax - Amuse charge half that for the 370Z system which includes more ti and more mufflers, and that's just taking the piss

someone only recently pointed out my 997 gt2 has an akro exhaust from oem, so i guess that's given them the excuse to jump on the GTR tax bandwagon

i spent just over 2k for my cat back, looks fantastic and works even better. Been running it for almost a year now with no discoloration of the ti. One of the best buys i've ever made mod'ing cars.

each to their own, this is just one person's feedback

IMG_7961.jpg

Edited by domino_z

I ended up with the Willall, doing a two-step thing like Domino and agree that the rear section added more noise but the mid pipe makes the bigger change in sound from stock.

Keeping my warranty precludes me from doing downpipes.

Let's all remember we are driving a TT V6, no exhaust will make this car sound like a GT3 or Scuderia.

Considering the cost, weight, material and backup with the Willall product, it's hard to go past them in my opinion, unless you can get lucky on Alibaba like Domino did.

^^^ Steven, nice of you to join up on SAU to advertise your business - NOT. As you would realise, if you want to advertise on SAU, you need to become a sponsor. Consider this your first and last warning.

When installing ECU flash and or Exhaust, the car needs to be tuned on a dyno, is hub dyno or wheel dyno better than one another? Personally I prefer the wheels to stay on in case they damage the rims or brakes, what's everyone's opinion?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I haven't seen a better quality product than the Akrapovic system. If you are in Vic I'd be happy to show mine for sound and fitment.

. AKrapovic have an iPhone app that features the GTR system Edited by Lord Beevill

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i bought my exhaust direct off alibaba from one of the ti exhaust manufacturers in china

it's 90mm, sounds great with de-catted downpipes and catted midpipe (didnt gain much sound when i added this to my midpipe only though - it's same layout/design as oem afterall), smooth quality welds inside and out, and looks even better

Following this trend, I thought I'd try a china stainless exhaust off E-bay.

Picked up a catback for about $700, and a midpipe for $260 (after a couple of bids) plus about $100 delivery all up. Honestly, at that price I really couldn't refuse.

Seems good so far!

Edited by Brockas

• 1 month later...

I had the Willal mid-pipe installed on Friday. The car sounds a lot better now though still pretty quiet and tame. I did a drive up to Harvey Bay and back overnight on Friday and very happy with how it cruises at highway speeds - no droning etc. They are a pretty noisy car imo with heaps of road noise etc so I'd much rather it be noisy with the exhaust. I might consider doing the dump pipes now but then have the considerations for cats - catless or high-flow in the dump pipes or the mid-pipe???

I had the Willal mid-pipe installed on Friday. The car sounds a lot better now though still pretty quiet and tame. I did a drive up to Harvey Bay and back overnight on Friday and very happy with how it cruises at highway speeds - no droning etc. They are a pretty noisy car imo with heaps of road noise etc so I'd much rather it be noisy with the exhaust. I might consider doing the dump pipes now but then have the considerations for cats - catless or high-flow in the dump pipes or the mid-pipe???

Mine's on the way to Willall now and part of the work is a mid pipe install- I know it'll be louder than stock but I hope it's not still too quiet afterwards.

Might have to look at other additions while it's over there...