SAU Community

Handling And Suspension

Namgun

Hi guys I need some advice here,

I have noticed when I enter corners at high speeds the rear suspension tends to not cope with the balance as I would like it to. It's a bit soft...

I would like to keep the comfortable drive but to improve this problem are coil overs my only option or would sway bars fix it?

Opinions would be appreciated:)

Hi guys I need some advice here,

I have noticed when I enter corners at high speeds the rear suspension tends to not cope with the balance as I would like it to. It's a bit soft...

I would like to keep the comfortable drive but to improve this problem are coil overs my only option or would sway bars fix it?

Opinions would be appreciated:)

Do the sway bars first. That will make a huge difference to the handling, be easy to install yourself & relatively cheap (even if paying someone to do the work). Check with Dale (Daleo) on here who supplies Whiteline swaybars at a good price delivered to your door. There should be a thread from not too long ago.

Coil overs will also help but you risk losing a little of your comfortable ride (unless you buy correctly), cost a lot more & are more difficult/costly to install. Of course they provide other benefits like lower ride heights...

Cheers, Leon.

Edit: I found his group buy link here http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/363819-v35-whiteline-sway-bar-group-buy/page__view__findpost__p__5805363. Just check as he may be able do them individually now.

Edited by Commsman

do these skylines have the traction issues that 350z are known to have??

I looked into working the engine in one of these or the 350 (probably turbo) but found with the 350 at least lots of people have traction issues when they take it down the drag strip or around the track.

can anyone confirm?

Might help if you mention what these 'traction control issues' are? I'm not aware of any common issues with the TC on either the 350z or the V35?

I think he means just traction issues, ie wheel spin. Yes, I would think that if you significantly increased the power you are going to have some traction concerns on the strip/track when you are only RWD. Although you would think the cars 'traction control' system would help a lot IF you left it on, lol.

Otherwise, sticky tires & good throttle control will be your friends. :)

To keep your ride near where it is now, sway bars are the best option. You'll find the car skips a little more around the bends, but the improvement in chassis response more than makes up for it.

do these skylines have the traction issues that 350z are known to have??

I looked into working the engine in one of these or the 350 (probably turbo) but found with the 350 at least lots of people have traction issues when they take it down the drag strip or around the track.

can anyone confirm?

As a NA 350Z owner, I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. The Z has more grip than grunt.

It does have axle tramp issues off the line due to the suspension geometry, and that's basically unfixable since its a function of how much camber the rear gets when it squats, but around the corner its got a crapload of grip in the rear. At the limit it does wash the nose if you're not progressive on the throttle, but getting rid of the staggered tyre setup fixes that (you will lose TCS/VDC but ABS still works). The thing doesn't start to oversteer unless you deliberately provoke it, and to keep it sliding once it breaks loose you have to keep clutch kicking.

Fair enough if you're doubling the power and torque by going to a TT kit then you'll find you have traction issues, even with R-Comps, but that's true for any 2WD car. You can't pin that as a "350Z" or FM platform issue.

If you don't take the car on the strip or circuit that often, and you just want a suspension setup for the winding road, I'd recommend doing adjustable swaybars first. If you're still finding it a fraction too soft for your tastes, then get a set of 350Z springs with Koni Yellow adjustable dampers. I've ridden in a few Zs with quite a few aftermarket suspension setups (Cusco, Zeal, Tein, Bilstein, HKS) and my favourite for street use was when I had OEM 350Z springs with Koni Yellows and adjustable swaybars.

Does your car have the LSD? I know that, historically, viscous LSDs have copped a bad rap, but the one in the FM platform cars actually works quite well. If you can't afford to buy a Quaife, and I'd avoid all the clutchpack LSDs for street use, then make sure your car has at least the OEM VLSD.