SAU Community

Modifying My Skyline

musaGT2.5

Hi Guys,

I have a 1996 skyline which i purchased a few months back and though it was great in the beginning am looking for the extra grunt.

It is a standard stock turbo, automatic r33 with a turbo timer and some minor body work.

I am looking for some advice on what I can do to modify my car to make it go harder and fell like i can beat everyone on the roads am tired of these Hyundai Elantra's thinking they can keep up with me.

I love the pick up the car has got but I want more and a steady increase in power and also feel that though am at a 100 or 120k's I can still get a lot more out of the car If I choose

Any suggestion will be welcome am currently starting off on a lighter budget till i know how far i wish to go.

oh by the way I live in Perth so any suggestions on affordable performance shops are greatly welcome.

Edited by musaGT2.5

For work check out the Consolidated workshop thread, plenty of guys around familiar with R33s!

1) Coilovers - Drop the car lower and make it handle better.

2) Good wheels and tyres - These will fit nicer now you have done the suspension, get a set of nice fitting Jap wheels and some sticky rubber to help handling and stopping in the wet and dry.

3) Exhaust - 3" from the trubo back. This will make the car sound nicer and give it a few extre rwkw.

4) Front Mount Intercooler - They're bawss and look killer

5) Upgrade Brakes - New pads and slotted rotors will help you pull up nice and quick!

After all that you will be broke and can then spend a few grand on adding a clutch and shifter!

Thanks for that.

Yeah i looked at the thread, it was helpful.

what would you reckon the best place to go and get most of this stuff done would be at the moment.

Allstar FTW :D

But seriously, you should probably head over to the Forced Induction section and have a read through the guide. It's not good heading into these things without having some idea of what you want.

Thanks for that.

No worries brah!

what would you reckon the best place to go and get most of this stuff done would be at the moment.

Well let me tell you...

For work check out the Consolidated workshop thread, plenty of guys around familiar with R33s!

1) Coilovers - WA Suspensions, these guys are totally killer!

2) Good wheels and tyres - Import Monster for 2nd hand Jap wheels and Jesse Streeter for new wheels. Then see my mate Damo at Tyrepower for some awesome tyre deals!

3) Exhaust - Kermit Engineering, he talks alot but is a nice guy

4) Front Mount Intercooler - Japanese Performance Centre. Denzo is mental but good. (May also have some wheels)

5) Upgrade Brakes - See #4

Major service, then spend 6 months working ot what you want the car for i.e streeter/drags/track before you waste you money on mods that are useless or will need to be upgraded again, work out how much power you want and where you want that power.

First mod though would be upgrade brakes, best tyres yo can afford, and maybe some sway bars, theres $2000 to start with.

Remember that you lose most of (90%) the money you put into it when its time to sell it, food for thought.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that.

And what place do you suggest is a reasonable place to get my car serviced i have been taking it to my regular mechanic but now am starting to think he might be doing more bad than good need people who actually know about skylines.

Major service, then spend 6 months working ot what you want the car for i.e streeter/drags/track before you waste you money on mods that are useless or will need to be upgraded again, work out how much power you want and where you want that power.

First mod though would be upgrade brakes, best tyres yo can afford, and maybe some sway bars, theres $2000 to start with.

Remember that you lose most of (90%) the money you put into it when its time to sell it, food for thought.

Edited by musaGT2.5

1.As stated above

2. Please dont race people on the roads it makes the rest of us look bad.

3. After a few mods do a driver training day

4.Draiver training

5. Repeat #3 & 4

6. Profit?

hows the R32 golf going?

work out how much your going to want to drive this car too because it's all well and good to spend 10k on it and get like 400rwhp for example but you may want to take in drivability as well

if this is the only means of transport for you may want to go with what'll make it handle better than give out a good reading on paper, while retaining on road driving but this may not be to bad if you leave the auto in it

You're going to need NOS, two of the big ones, by tonight. And don't forget neons and stickers. Makes everyone realise the car means business and they'll be scared to race you, but just in case you come across somebody else with stickers and neons, the NOS will ensure your victory.

You're going to need NOS, two of the big ones, by tonight. And don't forget neons and stickers. Makes everyone realise the car means business and they'll be scared to race you, but just in case you come across somebody else with stickers and neons, the NOS will ensure your victory.

I love this man, oh so much right now

hows the R32 golf going?

work out how much your going to want to drive this car too because it's all well and good to spend 10k on it and get like 400rwhp for example but you may want to take in drivability as well

if this is the only means of transport for you may want to go with what'll make it handle better than give out a good reading on paper, while retaining on road driving but this may not be to bad if you leave the auto in it

hey bud,

Going well but no mods as of yet. still love the fact that most people have no idea what it is or is capable of. Stuck to the ass of a BMW Z4 M on sunday till he started to speed, was the only way he got ride of me. Dont think he was too happy about that. lol

Also the reading on the paper means 2 tenths of f-all!! if you have 400killer-wasps but normal suspension then someone with a better suspension setup will beat the living sh!t out of you. Look at the work shop thread, go speak to the pros about what you want and LISTEN to their advice! then do more driver training, cant get enough of that!