SAU Community

Removing / Rebuilding Td05's Myself ,, Help! Lol

dato$2nv

hey guys my t517z are puffing a bit of smoke so ive decided to rip them off my rb26 myself and rebuild the seals ect

gonan save myself pver 2 grand if everythign goes right , but never done this before and only going of internet guides ect,

when removing gtr turbos any hints , tips anyone can give me , special tools? anything SA members could lend me that will make my life easier?

when rebuilding the seals ect , is it cool to just replace them without rebalancing the turbos? im just replacing the seals with a seal kit leaving wheels as they are ect?? help would be great!!!!

The seals are just a steel C clip. Its more of the thrust collar ate worn into the thrust bearing causing a play in the shaft. Mean the whole wheel assembly gets pushed towards the comp cover.

There is a 20 thou clearance between the wheels and housings. if the bearings has worn beyond that point the wheels would've been rubbing then that would be pointless to rebuild. Means get your self a new core.

If not then it just needs sand blasting, balancing and a brand new set of "genuine" rebuild kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just get the Kando T517Z cores on ebay for $250-$300ea depending on it you need 8cm or 10cm rear variants

Just slap the old covers on and be done with it...

Bang for buck if your pulling turbos out yourself...

New steel wheels, seals, thurst bearings, balancing the lot...

Basically new turbos for ~$600...

Cant complain...

Also regarding balancing...

Would you put wheel/tyre combo on your car without balancing...?

Seeing as tho turbine in the turbos rotate anywhere upto 150,000rpm probably a good idea to mak esure they are balanced...