SAU Community

Warning- Sydney Summernats Goers

31GUN

The police have their "defect your car" thing happening at the reast area between Campbelltown and Picton Rd.

It's the full disaster with at least 3 cop cars patrolling, van/bus setup at the rest area, witches hats, defectomatics etc etc.

They are basically pulling over anything with shiny wheels and giving them the full fine tooth comb treatment.

Get off at Campbelltown and either go via Appin/Wilton, or Narellan Rd, Camden Bypass/Picton.

Get back on at Picton Rd.

Ok, so I know all cars should be lawful and engineered and all, but seriously, why target people that are heading to an event that is trying to take stupid driving off the street?

It's defect stations like this that I think would deter people from going.

I'm not going, but still appreciate the heads up for others that are.

why wouldn't they set up a defect station? they will get heaps of cars with illegal mods, plus a heap with bald tyres, etc. it's like setting up a RBT down the road from a beer tasting festival. makes more sense than doing it down the road from a primary school in the middle of the day in the holidays.....

Ok, so I know all cars should be lawful and engineered and all, but seriously, why target people that are heading to an event that is trying to take stupid driving off the street?

It's defect stations like this that I think would deter people from going.

I'm not going, but still appreciate the heads up for others that are.

This.

Also, I won't be going either, but thank you for the heads up.

why wouldn't they set up a defect station? they will get heaps of cars with illegal mods, plus a heap with bald tyres, etc. it's like setting up a RBT down the road from a beer tasting festival.

I didn't know a beer tasting festival is a driving event. I generally agree with your point, i just think that that's a bad analogy

I didn't know a beer tasting festival is a driving event. I generally agree with your point, i just think that that's a bad analogy

i wasn't saying that a beer tasting festival was a driving event. more just stating that there is a higher chance of someone drink driving there than normal times, in the same way that they have more chance of finding cars with illegal mods/defects at something like winternats. i'm also sure that they will get plenty of cars with near bald tyres, which i think we can all agree is a genuine safety issue as it drastically reduces grip in the wet.

i wasn't saying that a beer tasting festival was a driving event. more just stating that there is a higher chance of someone drink driving there than normal times, in the same way that they have more chance of finding cars with illegal mods/defects at something like winternats. i'm also sure that they will get plenty of cars with near bald tyres, which i think we can all agree is a genuine safety issue as it drastically reduces grip in the wet.

They don't have to defect cars with illegal mods or for being unroadworthy. Even a bone stock car "can" be defected for suspicion of modifications.

If you go out doing 200km/h on a back road at 3am and don't get caught, then go to summernats, get defected on the way there, EPA'd in the mail, what are you going to do from then on? These events need to be encouraged and supported by police, defecting someone for an empty washer bottle on a sunny day is not support....

They don't have to defect cars with illegal mods or for being unroadworthy. Even a bone stock car "can" be defected for suspicion of modifications.

If you go out doing 200km/h on a back road at 3am and don't get caught, then go to summernats, get defected on the way there, EPA'd in the mail, what are you going to do from then on? These events need to be encouraged and supported by police, defecting someone for an empty washer bottle on a sunny day is not support....

yeah but you also get plenty of muppets that go to these events, never participate, but then proceed to bomb up skids as they leave the car park. i've seen this happen plenty of times at all types of events from test and tunes to skidpan days to top level motorsport events. so you can't really blame the cops for targetting an obvious location.

yeah but you also get plenty of muppets that go to these events, never participate, but then proceed to bomb up skids as they leave the car park. i've seen this happen plenty of times at all types of events from test and tunes to skidpan days to top level motorsport events. so you can't really blame the cops for targetting an obvious location.

Not at all.

But why not stop people doing this purely by bulk presence, as in zero tolerance out of the event? Instead of setting up a defect central zone BEFORE they get there?

Doing skids leaving the gate etc. is plain stupid and obviously bad for it's image, so that sort of thing SHOULD be targeted, not the ones behaving themselves driving sensibly to somewhere safe to let loose.....

it's not like this is the first time the police have set up a defect station down the road from something like this. they've done it plenty of times before and will do it plenty more times in the future.