SAU Community

Emissions Defect

Country Cruzin

Got pulled over in Moore last weekend on the way to a wedding, 25 mins later, an missed the wedding ceremony, they got down smelt the exhaust, an said it smells a little "fumey"

so i now got a defect that says

*Ensure exhaust system complies with manufactures specs

*ensure exhaust emissions comply with manufactures specs

Where am i supposed to get it checked at?

says i gotta produce the vehicle for a full safety certificate inspection, at an approved inspection station.

Is that nearly any mechanic shop? an i take it it has to pass an emissions test to??? does a normal mechanic check that?

Though got a bad feeling its not gunna pass any exhaust test without doin somethin dodgey. Owned the car fo four years an no cops ever mentioned the exhaust, why couldnt the city transport department stay where they belong???

They're the bad ones. Queensland Transport Inspections.

You'll have to get it complied to standard/legal emissions by yourself or mechanic/tuner.

Exhaust, i'm not sure what they mean by comply with manu specs? You shouldn't have to change it back to stock normally, but this might be different. Unless they mean replacing/refitting a CAT?

You'll have to head of to their inspection spots for a full car run down (very extensive, brakes, lights, under car inspection, suspension, washer jets, wipers etc etc etc)

They'll then probably check your emissions and noise at the same time because its on your defect slip.

Easiest thing to do would be call the RTA and find out what u gotta do. Most likely get it passed inspection at an exhaust shop or mechanic then take the certificate back to the RTA to get it cleared ?

you could just stick to the rules to begin with and have it fully engineered, saves on defects.

my car has all documentation including an RTA performed emissions test showing it meets all their requirements which unless you are being a complete dick to the cop or they are on a power trip gets you back on your way fairly promptly.

the emissions test will be to what ever ADR required for the year your car was manufactured unless you have a crappy system like VIC that decided ADR was silly and made their own on top.

exhaust system compliance is basically number of cats the car came with or more and below the required ADR noise level for that year of manufacture. (more than likely 91db or less)

you could just stick to the rules to begin with and have it fully engineered, saves on defects.

my car has all documentation including an RTA performed emissions test showing it meets all their requirements which unless you are being a complete dick to the cop or they are on a power trip gets you back on your way fairly promptly.

the emissions test will be to what ever ADR required for the year your car was manufactured unless you have a crappy system like VIC that decided ADR was silly and made their own on top.

exhaust system compliance is basically number of cats the car came with or more and below the required ADR noise level for that year of manufacture. (more than likely 91db or less)

This may not be totally relivant in qld. We dont do the whole engineering then lodge at rta thing. Give them a call and ask what you need to do. It will probably need the really strict inspection as mentioned here previosly but you may get away with just providing a rwc from any mechanci you can get to give you one. A stock exhaust may be a good investment if you have to go in and get it inspected.

Hmm looks like I had better keep taking the Mazda to Kingaroy instead of the GTR...every time I go up at night time i get stopped in Nanango but never Moore....and it sounds like I would like to keep it that way!

Defects in Qld, all 3 times I just took it to Qld transport and they inspected it and said replace this and that, went and did it and they signed the paperwork.

Although a defect for having a smelly exhaust sounds a bit stupid. Like my wife's Honda accord euro has a smelly exhaust and its got the factory titanium/stainless exhaust.

Edited by lilcrash

I dont know the ins and outs of it but i think the transport utes can do some forms of testing. They can also order you to go over the pits at transport not just a normal defect any old rwc will clear.

Im sure somebody who has been done by them can add in more on this but its not good if those blokes decide to pull you over.

You'll definitely be going over pits if that's what tr defect states.

So might as well inspect the car yourself and change anything illegal to legal. They will check it all.