SAU Community

Drag Dates 2012 So Far

MattR

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Martin, when are we going to see the willall stable come out to play?, surely Mr Wilson is getting itchy to play.

We may bring the 35 out at some stage when its full track just to 'see'. RH9 is retired from drag racing though. Its not coming back out.

Dont let my lack of enthusiasm stop you though! It looks like a doddle to run a fairly stock R32/R33 GTR into the 10s these days, and if you put the right tyre under it a GTS-t shouldnt be much further behind. Plenty of folks in manual Commodores pumping in the 10s with dyno cards in the mid 300s, so the superior rear end of the Nissan puts it well within reach.

When it comes to drag racing your average street performance car there's almost no comparison between a 200 odd kW AWD Evo X with slick auto transmission and a 250-300+ RWD Skyline, particular if the Skyline is a 5 speed manual.

Read what I wrote again - its all in the 60. That has - always been the way.

Dyno numbers mean very little on street cars on the drag strip, particularly when most of the turbo Falcons getting around with 400+rwkw are really only spinning 330 or so :pirate:

yeh he put the 3.23 diff gears in did a 1.6 60 ft thats moving for a barge 7.40 and a 98mph for a half track is doing well runnin a 380 on the disney about the money for 98mph half track :happy: going a pulley and going to be the first to push the non cooled situation and around the mid year with low temps i reckn he will bag it, gotta love power vs $$$ mind u why do we bother being tight :teehee: lol

was reading an old article u did in boost mag and it was on anti lag system simon had made up from morpowa on his [no gas] beast how much of an effect is to be had in an anti lag system in any car's 60ft , i know its a bit off topic but in the drag related section, and dammmm simon looks young lol :laugh:

yeh i know its old tech how far did it ever elvolve to .....a point where a manual could be used for boost off the line in a good way or just damaging to everything in the drive line?

awd is for homo's that can't power skid point and steer is a bit boring unless theres a on off control via flick of the trac control button ? got that figured out on the 35 yet it would be nice

what options are there for the skyline for boost off the line in manual form?

Read what I wrote again - its all in the 60. That has - always been the way.

Dyno numbers mean very little on street cars on the drag strip, particularly when most of the turbo Falcons getting around with 400+rwkw are really only spinning 330 or so :pirate:

That was my whole point; AWD and idiot proof launch capability. If you've got the grunt to run 11.9 the SST Evo X will do it, even with your Granny behind the wheel. Put dear old Gran in the powerful RWD and unless she is related to the Bray family she's got buckleys of achieving 11.9.

yeh i know its old tech how far did it ever elvolve to .....a point where a manual could be used for boost off the line in a good way or just damaging to everything in the drive line?

All the AWD cars that you see us race will make boost on the line via various launch control subroutines in the ECU. My STi will hang around 1.0 bar stationary if requested, while RH9 could go well beyond that if need be.

Because these cars grip and go - rather than flail around axle tramping - its uncommon to damage anything.

This is all pointless in Commodore/Falcon turbo as in manual form their rear end geometry is that poor stopping them from axle tramping and twisting, snapping, bending everything in the driveline is almost impossible.

That was my whole point; AWD and idiot proof launch capability. If you've got the grunt to run 11.9 the SST Evo X will do it, even with your Granny behind the wheel. Put dear old Gran in the powerful RWD and unless she is related to the Bray family she's got buckleys of achieving 11.9.

Having driven a manual RWD into an 11 and an SST into an 11, I can tell you the kind of timing and driving input required to get either job done isnt that different. Obviously some of us have more talented Nannys than others.

All the AWD cars that you see us race will make boost on the line via various launch control subroutines in the ECU. My STi will hang around 1.0 bar stationary if requested, while RH9 could go well beyond that if need be.

Because these cars grip and go - rather than flail around axle tramping - its uncommon to damage anything.

This is all pointless in Commodore/Falcon turbo as in manual form their rear end geometry is that poor stopping them from axle tramping and twisting, snapping, bending everything in the driveline is almost impossible.

i think this is the most valid point cheap cars just arent set up for that kind of abuse where as the decent dollar euro/jap/germany built cars handle the power and launches much better ................bugger for the auz built donkeys :pirate:

fanks for the replys :cheers:

• 6 months later...

Yup

Heard the latest with andra rules?

Run faster than 12.99 and get a 4 point harness and tailshaft loop or GTFO

Rang reno yesti and sooked

Didnt help one warning the go home so for 160$ u get 2 runs

Yup

Heard the latest with andra rules?

Run faster than 12.99 and get a 4 point harness and tailshaft loop or GTFO

Rang reno yesti and sooked

Didnt help one warning the go home so for 160$ u get 2 runs

thats just shit. rules are getting worse and worse and cars getting better, where is the sence in that

nup no refund

u get 1 pass if ur mph is to high or time to low they will warn u straight up

2nd pass if go again ur out c u later

reno is a top bloke and i spoke to him to at length yesti he said look come down have a pass see where ur at, run it agian and roll in at 3/4 track ,I said hold up whats the phucking point in that ? he said iknow i know iam on ur side its just andra holding us to it now

i said cant u just bin andra or change the rules? he said been at them the last 3 months with rule changes to suit new cars that can do a 12.99 with just an edit or flash tune . andras response to rule changes are shocking , stuck in the 70's , but reno is trying his hardest as hes the bloke putting his ballock on the line still for the sake of us !

as far as binning andra ..............its in the making , trying to secure the same insurance holder thet heathcote park has

( heathcote has next to no rules stick a v8 in a shopping trolley for all they care )

so were in a rock and a hard place, but for the sake of having racing in s.a ill still spend the $160 for 2 runs , just means if u feel uve funbled the launch just roll it through and have another go and every shot it has to be the money shot.

iam in a crappy situation my self , nearly all my driveline in hanging on by hopes and dreams and i really wanted 2 shots to have a easy take off so i could see my mph ( easerly in the 12.99 bracket with soft take off)

now i just have to go for it ........................but thats racing and i suppose we should be lucky we still have racing in s.a