SAU Community

V36 - Another Tv Tuner Question

so that pictured unit only picks up SD tv and not HD channels?

is there something that denotes that on the zylux website?

Yes unfortunately. But im not too fussed about it. Its still a digital tuner, just not HD.

When I ordered it, i was lead to believe that they only sell the new HD model now. So i didnt go out of my way to specify. Of course the old model turned up! Make sure you specify you want the new HD version.

I dont think the new model appears on the website yet. Here is the link for the one I got. Zylux tells me the only thing different about them is that the new one has the HD channels.

The rrp is around $500. JB cost price is $349. Offer them somewhere between $375 and $400 and you should get it.

http://www.zylux.com.au/aus/digital-tv-receiver-with-recorder.html

• 2 weeks later...

That tuner looks pretty cool, the fact that its in English makes a difference. I will check again for this tuner.

Do you know whether our cars will play certain video files from CF card?

Not sure, Im still waiting for my CF card to arrive in the mail.. The tuner definatley plays all relevant formats though.

• 1 month later...

I ended up getting JB to reorder the correct HD tuner for me. I was hoping it would be a direct replacement wiring wise. Of course it wasnt. The plugs and wiring were different. Also the they changed I/R sensor plug meaning i had to pull apart the whole interior again to install it :down:..

Anyway the interface is a little different looking but still good. The reception and AV quality is awesome. The physical size of the unit is a little bit larger, i had to change the bracket location. The new one has HDMI output. One little complaint is that the old tuner used to power up as soon as you start the car, this one doesnt. As well as that, it takes a bit to get it going, you need to press the power button on the remote a few times before it comes on and stays on. I called Zylux and apparently thats just how this new model is.. I really want to get to the bottom of this so sort of still a work in progress. I did notice when i swapped over from the old model that they used a thinner gauge of wires for the power and grounds on the new one.. I wonder if that might have something to do with it...?

Anyway heres a few pics installed.

Perth-20120324-00199.jpg

Perth-20120324-00196.jpg

Perth-20120324-00194.jpg

Perth-20120324-00211.jpg

Perth-20120324-00200.jpg

Perth-20120324-00214.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I have a question. I notice my car has the same panasonic digital tuner and from the tuner, there are 3 av plug-ins (usual red, yellow and white) which says AV in. However, I noticed that I don't have the 3 AV inputs in the center glove box although there are 3 holes underneath the japanese phone jack. Any idea if this is common and can I use the AV in from the tuner to run something to the car's monitor? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Loving google chromes built in translate feature... Found the actual Jap install instructions.

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/en/userid/859533/car/722285/1337084/note.aspx

Found the install that the Jap guys are doing, some put it in the boot, others go for the space under the arm rest and yep hook straight into the aux socket from behind, some ive seen even rewire the component plugs in the center console to the av input on their new tv tuner.