SAU Community

Getting my conversion engineered?

[R31][Silhouette]

Hi guys,

Just wanting to know if anyone knows of places that can engineer my R31?

I've recently put an r32 rb20det in my r31 and not to sure of any places that can provide

me with a certificate? Has anyone done this conversion and had it engineered and knows

what needs to be done?

I'd appreciate any help!

Cheers

thought u were allowed to put engines into a body that had been released with that engine from factory... there were 31s with RB20s... so isnt that the same as putting an LS1 V8 in a VT exec?

thought u were allowed to put engines into a body that had been released with that engine from factory... there were 31s with RB20s... so isnt that the same as putting an LS1 V8 in a VT exec?

That's what I thought..

I went to Vic roads and asked them if I could change my engine number bla bla bla..

they said I have to provide a engineers certificate? I tried to explain the whole motor/chassis

thing - but they didn't seem to care..

I'd previously called up and spoke to someone about it.. they told me if I hadn't cut or modified the

firewall for the conversion.. then I didn't need to have the car engineered?? I told them this..

and they said 'Certificate is required' ?!?

I'm confused!

lol at the top of the forum is a sticky thread with all the other stickies... in it is a link to a site which states all modifications and stuff that can be done to cars in vic... check it out and see if u can find anything to clarify

The RB20DET wasn't offered as an option in R31's sold by Nissan in Oz so you will require an engineers certificate. It also has a substantially greater power output than the original RB30E so as far as Vicroads is concerned a certificate will be mandatory. That has been standard practice for donkey's ages and whoever told you otherwise hasn't got a clue..

On the Vicroads website somewhere is a list of recognised engineers. You are looking at around $500 for the inspection + mods (upgraded brakes will almost certainly be required).

This guy is an engineer in the SE Suburbs... He quoted me $495 for an engineers... Personally, I dont think its worth getting one because as soon as you do more mods you void your engineers... and thats what the cops look at too... I have two friends who both had engineered rb30et's in their r31's and they both got canaried, epa'd and taken of the road

Engineer: 97018566

This guy is an engineer in the SE Suburbs... He quoted me $495 for an engineers... Personally, I dont think its worth getting one because as soon as you do more mods you void your engineers... and thats what the cops look at too... I have two friends who both had engineered rb30et's in their r31's and they both got canaried, epa'd and taken of the road

Engineer: 97018566

Thanks for the number SLY.. I didn't really wanna hear abou the two R31's getting taken off the road :D

Have you got your car engineered SLY? What's in it?

What sort of brake upgrade have you done if any?

Cheers

Get onto the Vic Roads web-site.

They list all engineers (approved) in Vic that can do it for you.

With an RB20, you'll be fine. As it's a whole conversion as long as you've got the pollution gear/stock ECU/full RB20 loom etc etc.

You'll get an engineers easily then just have the rego changed.

Once that is done (if you keep it stock) there is no grounds for any Canary or EPA.

Do you really need an upgrade on brakes?

I'm not sure what the regulations are but i think... if you keep it stock then you dont need one. Of course it's all dependant on your engineer

But a brake upgrade would be something you should do anyhow for your own safety as i doubt you'll leave the motor stock...

Also to remember, if the coppers do you without an engineers, you'll have to pull the motor back out and swap him to the stock one... and that'll prove more hassle than getting the engineers to start off with.

Ideally, you should have consulted the engineer before undertaking such a modification...

I rang vic roads the other day about putting my rb26 into my r32gts-t and I was told also that if the car(model?) was ever sold with as a factory option it is ok. I'm going to try it on with vic roads saying that the r32 model skyline came out with the rb26 not telling them it was the gtr. Also they said that if I got a workshop to write and sign that the car was released with this engine its ok. Its just the same as putting a 300kw gts engine into a stock pov pack commodore!

I'm not sure what the regulations are but i think... if you keep it stock then you dont need one. Of course it's all dependant on your engineer

The vicroads says something similar hidden amongst their lovely jungle of pages. That is requries the appropriate handling and stopping force also for that engine. That is, brakes.

rowdyr32 - fine.. if you bend the rules you might get away with it. But if you get dicked and the cop knows what the laws, you will be in the same situation as having no engineers basically. An engineers if invalid won't get you out of anything. You wouldn't get away with putting the 300kw GTS engine in a v6 executive either without at least upgrading the brake system.

Personally the best approaching is doing what nearly everybody else does in VIC. Drive around and hope you don't get fully reamed one day. If its a defect, there are plenty of places that will give you a "generous" RWC that won't even check the engine, and in vicroads there are those that can be given appropriate payments to make sure things happen. Thats not a drama.. but if the EPA comes a knockin' ..well.. bend over

Unfortunately the EPA are clever cats and know what to look for :D They are nicer than the cops, and don't even really approve of testing skyline after skyline for minor things.. But even then they can't change the rules, and will check everything from the stock ecu to whether you have stock boost hooked up.

yep what has been said is right you need to have your motor stock. you will need a stock

airbox for the test I would recommend a stock intercooler. sound levels have to be close to stock as well. the list of vic roads engineers is the place to start but the smart thing would have ben totalk to an engineer b4 you actually started your conversion.

meggala

Here it is.. all laid out:

Change of engine

1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle

The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine, have been completed. An original receipt for the purchase of the engine must be provided as proof of ownership of the engine. A vehicle inspection is required, and a Change of Description form must be completed.

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used

A VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory is required. An original receipt for the purchase of the engine must be provided as proof of ownership of the engine. A vehicle inspection is required, and a Change of Description form must be completed.