SAU Community

Standard Un-Opened Engine... 458Kw Atw... Sound Impossible?

HYBR3D

This topic isnt about a Skyline, but rather about another make, a smaller vehicle produced by Mitsubishi that has rolled out of the factory and with a few mods is now making a very respectable 458 kw atw's... (615 whp)

I have talked to a few people around Australia in my short time ive been here, a Few tuners as well. There is alot of debate about what is good power, and what's possible and whats not. Quite recently I was having an argument with a tuner about power figures on cars.

I just wish I could email him the info to rub it in his face.

Well NZ's top tuning company Speed Tech Motorsport (STM) have had a little project going since late last year Project Haggis. A Evo 9 going for the Stock Block world record held by AWD Motorsport in America.

I thought it was quite impressive power figures and thought I would share the info. Some will think pffft thats not much power, some will say wow thats alot and impossible...

Heres the proof, enjoy :)

Small doco before current tune: http://stmtune.wordp...project-haggis/

Facebook photo with tune info: http://www.facebook....&type=1

Yeh maybe. I dont know much about the strength of evo engines. Maybe they are real robust. But Ive also heard of 400kw RB26'es on an unopened engine, but they didnt last long. They always got tracked and dragged haha.

But who knows maybe the tune is there for longevity. But how protective can a tune be at 400+kw haha. Sounds angry though.

yea, the tuning company STM do not recommend going for this amount of power on a stock engine and the owner is aware of the consequence's. just a wait and see. he still need to learn to drag it and get used to the power lol see what happens.

if its just for the record and braggin rights sure. but with any hard use ( i assume drags and/or curcuit racing) it will not last long. no matter how robust the engine is.

but i'm sure it doesnt bother them, when it does go kaboom. it can always be rebuilt and made faster again :thumbsup:

Wont last long on that power level.

We did a Evo at CRD that made 340 odd kW @ wheels on stock internals and the owner wasn't shy. It's didnt detonate or anything but it bent a rod! The bent rod lead to the bearing catching. They caught it quick and pulled the engine down and all that was wrong was 2 bent rods and one bearing starting to let go. No damage to bores, rings or pistons.

Tune determines if a power level is safe but sometimes you can literally over power a factory component

Wont last long on that power level.

We did a Evo at CRD that made 340 odd kW @ wheels on stock internals and the owner wasn't shy. It's didnt detonate or anything but it bent a rod! The bent rod lead to the bearing catching. They caught it quick and pulled the engine down and all that was wrong was 2 bent rods and one bearing starting to let go. No damage to bores, rings or pistons.

Tune determines if a power level is safe but sometimes you can literally over power a factory component

This makes sense to me

the 290- 320 wkw is the common max power range in nz for evos before rebuilding and forging the engine. and 350 is prob the most common for a evo forged on pump. tho a guy has made the 400wkw on 98 pump lol he thrashes the crap outa it all day every day, not surprised its been in the workshop a couple times for repairs ha.

i duno why he did this but hes a bit nutty lol

<-- him trying to do Gymkhana lol it wasnt "closed off streets"

• 2 months later...