SAU Community

Tires For A N/a Skyline

So, about to buy a couple of new tires (finally) and I've been looking around for what I want to grab, but unfortunately most of the advice that I've found (particularly on here) is pretty much for the turbo model Skylines and generally high performance cars.

Now, my R34 25GT isn't a Hyundai Getz, but I don't think it's really a "performance car" either, so the more I think about it the more I think I perhaps shouldn't be spending perhaps $250 a tire on RE002s or something of the ilk.

I mean, I definitely want something decent, don't get me wrong, I want something that will keep me on the road and will most definitely grip in the wet, I'm not looking to skimp.

I just want people to tell me realistically what I should be looking at, and if I really am looking at the right mark.

Tanks,

Teir.

Dude would you really put RE002s on a smart car? (if they even come in a size that'll fit them)

I mean, that car barely hits 100km/h with its little 2 stroke engine...

I'm just asking if I'm going beyond common sense...

BUT... if the consensus it to spend the money, I'll spend it.

hay i had an r34 gt once, i personally wouldnt go all out on a set of tyres , like i mean look at those wheel and tyre packages you can buy they still stick in the wet, and clearly not being a turbo, you arnt circuit racing so something decent but you can definently get a set of good dunlops for $200 each, personally wouldnt spend anything over $200 on a no name brand tyre.

hay i had an r34 gt once, i personally wouldnt go all out on a set of tyres , like i mean look at those wheel and tyre packages you can buy they still stick in the wet, and clearly not being a turbo, you arnt circuit racing so something decent but you can definently get a set of good dunlops for $200 each, personally wouldnt spend anything over $200 on a no name brand tyre.

No name brand? Your mean the RE002? It's one of bridgestone's premium tires.

I would put somthing very decent on a smart car, think when your on the freeway at 130km/h (NT FTW) you wont somthing that will grip and wont deterate at the speed. I have tryed both cheep and exspencive and there is a distenct diffrence.

Well the money it is by the sounds of it...

Any last comments by anyone?

Specific recommendations?

My tire guy (family friend) is saying there's a pair of Michilins I should buy that are $15 more than the RE002 if I'm going to spend that much on tires, he reckons they're much better for the price.

I got Kumho KU31s on my NA 34. Cost me $700 for 235/40/R18 and 245/40/R18. I think the R34 25GTs came out with 205/55/R16's on them so my speedometer would be out by about 3kph.. Plus, it's not like the car will be having any traction issues being an NA and all so I don't think really expensive tires are really required UNLESS it's something that made you feel better (in the way that you will have more grip on the road).

Cheers.

I've always been happy with Falkens. Always get good life from them, and they seem to hold the road pretty well, wet or dry.

Currently running ZE912s. Good value @ under $200 each.

Another I have had some success with is the Bridgestone Potenza GIII.

Good too see a few more considered answers now, thanks guys.

And yea, I can loose traction, done it before, with shit tires in the wet, but I've posted plenty about that already.

Looks like I'll be going for $200 Toyos.

The tires that came with the car are 225/45/17, but I'm gonna be chucking on 235s as they're ~$50 cheaper and well.. more rubber...

Thanks for the input!

Teir