SAU Community

Selling Your Car? Watch Out For These Scammers

wilorichie

I Thanks for the response, I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work we do not have access to phone at the moment,its 20 days off and 10 days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. I am very much okay with the asking price which is $16,000 and i am willing to put in an offer of $16,150.

I am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Charles Darwin University in NT ,He studied Building Design & Architecture. I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking.I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day,am a sailor am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ/US bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through PayPal to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply .

Attached is my passport copy for you to know who you dealing with

Regards,

Evan Harry

I got this from a malaysian scammer an hour ago.

They also provided this, which they said would "verfiy who i was dealing with," (a lame ploy to trip up people and to create a feeling of security and trust)

fake_passport_phot.jpg

It's quite an interesting scam, especially how they use "e-checks" through paypal

Anyway, thought this may interest a few people

Forgive me if ive lived under a rock but what damage could he do with a bsb and acc number?

I mean to withdraw from my accounts you can do it two ways;

1. ATM - need your card & PIN number at an ATM for up to $1000 per day.

2. BANK - If over $1000, you need to go in person with the card/acc details still need your PIN plus you need your drivers licence.

It isn't necessarily about stealing directly from your bank account. A bsb & acc number, your name and address and you've got everything you need to make up a fake bank statement which is a pretty common form of ID. Pair that up with a dodgy driver's licence, obtain credit from a source who doesn't check things properly -> shopping spree and then suddenly your credit rating is shot and you owe a lot of money on things you've never purchased while the thief is sporting a whole new set of bling.

That's just a contrived example of id theft though, who knows what else people might come up with.

I Thanks for the response, I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work we do not have access to phone at the moment,its 20 days off and 10 days on,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. I am very much okay with the asking price which is $16,000 and i am willing to put in an offer of $16,150.

I am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Charles Darwin University in NT ,He studied Building Design & Architecture. I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking.I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day,am a sailor am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ/US bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through PayPal to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply .

Regards,

Evan Harry

They also provided this, which they said would "verfiy who i was dealing with," (a lame ploy to trip up people and to create a feeling of security and trust)

fake_passport_phot.jpg

It's quite an interesting scam, especially how they use "e-checks" through paypal

It should make alarm bells ring in your head when reading that they are offering more then the asking price. That's one warning sign.

Regards,

Evan Harry

fake_passport_phot.jpg

nice fake. my previous US passport AND my current one look nothing like this.

With just a few more details eg full name & address..., a fake POA can be made up > raid your bank.

Most banks will ask for a registration number on the POA. Some don't

A registration # on a POA application is procured through the Dept of Lands.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Scammer :

oh great plz can you tell me if i need any repair, or no damages? because i want to buy it for my son who just graduated from curtins university, as a surprise gift, so let me know how many repairs i need to make on the bike to make it be on perfect condition for my son, and i want to let you know that i am a nurse for the Sub Marine Soldiers, so we are presently of shore, i will be making payment to you with paypal or bank transfer, and i will surely arrange for the picking up of the bike after making payment to you, kindly reply me with your paypal account id and send me your address for the bike will be picked up after i make payment to you, thanks

From me:

hi there,

im sure you work off shore and am a nurse, but i am not stupid. i will not let my bike go without knowing you are a legit. i will accept cash on pick up or money order/bank cheque. no paypal will be accepted. if you really want the bike you will organise someone to pay for it or wait til you get back from off shore. No work is required for the bike it is in A1 condition. thanks and kind regards, Daniel.

• 2 weeks later...

you wrote too many words..

It should have been

Hi there,

f**k off.

Regards, Daniel

haha yeh shoulda i was considering saying something like that ahwell next time i may