SAU Community

HELP please

mic_sky

Hi guys,

I Installed my deck all working fine and well, then soldered and taped up wires.

then it didnt work.

NO CONSTANT POWER!

checked fuse under steering wheel and checked in boot all fuses ok.

got a volt tester and theres no power from the constant power line.

also the clock isnt working either now

any help appreciated

Thanks

If the clock isnt workin either...u must have a blown fuse somewhere in the car..ull probably find that the interior light isnt workin either...on most cars this fuse is in the engine bay and marked DOME....it provides power to the interior light..clock and memory for the radio...u could have possibly shorted it out when soldering it...

If the clock isnt workin either...u must have a blown fuse somewhere in the car..ull probably find that the interior light isnt workin either...on most cars this fuse is in the engine bay and marked DOME....it provides power to the interior light..clock and memory for the radio...u could have possibly shorted it out when soldering it...

thanks for your help

ok the clock is working but really dim now, and doesnt hold memory at all really strange.

It sounds like the head unit might be wired in wrong or it is shorting the electrics out, I'd maybe remove it and see if your clock returns to normal, pain the a55, I know.

i think its a short ive removed it and clock still fugged.

what should i do now?

It could be the high power head unit on low current wiring problem.....

Most older stereos (dunno years, maybe before mid 90's?) had a low current constant wire (say with a 1 amp fuse) and a high current Accessories wire (say with a 10 amp fuse).

At some stage over the years they changed this to a high current CONSTANT wire (drawing 10+ amps) with a low current Accessories wire, just to switch the radio on.

Now, I can't recall the wiring in my Skyline, but I'd assume the constant voltage wires in the dash are designed for low current usage (the clock drawing maybe 10mA?) and the 10 amps or so your new stereo is trying to draw is burning out the wire. With luck, there is a fuse inline there... it may not be in the fuse box though.

I'd recommend running a new wire straight from the battery (or straight from your amplifier power distribution block) to this constant wire.