SAU Community

places to check a potential skyline

DarkCoupe

My point was mainly.. if its a major problem, it will show when driving it or inspecting it visually. And most inspections are only to do exactly the same as you could anyhow.

Other than physically opening up the gearbox, or other components of the engine (which of course no inspection is ever going to do), I don't see how those things are checked in any other way than simply driving it or checking for very obvious signs by the inspector either.

I don't think they even get it on the hoist to check the chasis condition in most instances, and the tests I have witnessed have mainly been visual and a very short road test. They seem to be very superficial in most instances.

If you were interstate you would at least want some piece of mind, but then again, without you supervising the test how do you know the depth the test has done?? I would never accept an inspection from somebody else without physically taking the car for a drive myself. They could have spent just 10 minutes looking at it, or the owner could have slipped them $500 to give a good report - you never know.

well ... I am going to have a car I am considering inspected tomorrow. The check I am getting is definatly a very detailed check, as they put the car on the hoist, take all the wheels off and check the brakes, suspension and other major components under the car for any damage, and note any parts that look 'newer' than others (ie. replacements), and also check for sprayed panels and replaced ones.

End of the day, I would want to get one done even if I flew up. I figure I'll get the check done (and since I am the one paying the dealer / seller doesnt get to see it AT ALL, that's the agreement between me and RACQ) then I make the decision to cough over extra $$ for a flight, then obviously drive it and use my own experience and tests (on top of the notes from the inspection) to make the final call.

Re the slipped them $500 ... hmm well I guess I would never know you are right. But I will be driving the car myself anyways when I fly up and I will take it for a good test.If he's available (which he may be) Muz will also be joining me for a test and lookover. Since he owns a R34 himself, it will definatly help I think :P

so ... does that sound sane or not?

nah.. sounds like a very comprehensive test.

The tests I have done in the past, by the RACV (RACQ up here), and others have been very superficial and a waste of money.. They have basically just been drive out and look type tests, nothing substantial like that.

Yea the problem with people like racq is that they aren't used to looking at imports etc all day long. They aren't really experts in knowing what to look for on a skyline for example. IMHO you are better off taking it to a workshop, who actually knows cars and knows what to look for and what not to worry about. racq will go over the car but may only point out things that are not going to ever make a difference! I know a guy who sent a relativley new range rover for an inspection and they claimed that the rotors were undersized when in fact they had never been changed....so yea i suppose they can be good but I think a waste of money that could be better spent paying a workshop to really look over your car. My 2c

why don't you go and say to the owner if you are to buy it he pays for the racq check and what not if he really wants to sell it he will fork out the $192 cause i am looking for a 32gtst at the moment and people have offered to cover all those costs

EVO83 I understand that you think that RACQ would not see a lot of imports, but then again you might be suprised. They do get to look at quite a few.

The problems were not ... mechanical. The car was fine mechanically, and would probably run like a dream. The bodywork however (if you know what you are looking at) was on a totally different level though. PM me if you want to know more I guess as I'd rather not say more here.

I agree with spooks the buyer should definately have to pay otherwise the seller could be forking out heaps everytime theres another buyer! I also agree with EVO83, Darkcoupe i would seriously consider getting a workshop to check over the car, even if your talking about bodywork! RACQ do see imports but they more than likely dont know exactly what to look for, what they dont realise is that these are second hand cars, from japan. Get a workshop to look over the car before you make a decision racq are always going to point out even the stupidist of things becoz it covers there behind legally! A workshop will tell you if its something that is REALLY going to be a problem!

ah i see your point. In that case I agree with your decision. But yea i stand by my comments about gettin a workshop to look over it. I wish you the best with finding a car!

Matt

sounds like a plan, i might come to sydney sometime soon. all the relo's live down there. Keep us up to date with how your car finding goes, hope you find wat your after!

• 2 weeks later...

this is the one and only though and much quicker with lots more potential, all it needs is an interior to be a showcar think about it!