SAU Community

Help for a newbie to Japan

Leewah

Hi All,

I will be in Japan in late May for 2.5 wks and I need a list of things to see and do while I'm there.

I'll be based in Tokyo from the night of 24 May until 31 May and then heading off to Hiroshima to visit some people and then I have 4 more days after that to bum around and do whatever.

I will have a Japan rail pass which I'll get here to travel to other cities so I can only assume that I can get to most places by train in Tokyo too even though you have a number of rail networks there.

What I would really like from you locals there is a list of things to see and do and also info about accomodation while I'm in Tokyo and Hiroshima. I'll be travelling with 2 other friends who know as much bout Japan as I do (nothing). The only things I've really penned in are seeing Disneyland and Mt Fuji. Everything else is open for suggestions. Of course if accessible, I'd love to check out some car related places. Is it easy to get to the Chiba district? I believe Top Secret are there and I'd love to visit the factory if I can get in. Also a visit to a HKS outlet would also be waaay cool.

In regards to accomodation, can people recommend reasonably priced hotels where we can stay? I hear accomodation there is really expensive so I wouldn't really wanna spend more than AU$200 a night (triple share) in a hotel. Is this possible for a reasonable hotel (Ie. No skanky youth hostel kinda setup)?

I'm interested in seeing everything which is interesting, both touristy and non touristy. Also, if any of you are available to hook up in late May, early June, I'd love to meet you.

I hear that our mobile phones won't work there so I'll only be contactable by email at my Hotmail address of [email protected]. Until I leave for Japan though, I'll be here checking out the forums.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Cheers,

Dave.

Never been to Hiroshima myself, so can't help with that one - perhaps Rezz and Evo_Lee know more :)

Tokyo - there's already loads of info in the Japan section on that, so have a comb through some of the previous threads.

Mt. Fuji - is in Yamanashi (my prefecture...as in where I'm living, not that I actually own it or anything :D). Not sure if the climbing season is open by then, most probably not (as I recall) so you'll be limited to going to the 5th step (about half way up the moutain and the highest point you can reach via car/bus). There are usually bus tours/day trips leaving from Tokyo (most probably from Shinjuku or tokyo stations. ) that you could get on. I definitely recommend the bus, as it'll take you right up the mountain. If you have the time, the Hankone district (around the base of Mt. Fuji, and on the way from Tokyo to Fuji) is worth it - loads of hot spa's, lakes, hotels and touristy spots. Hakone is also popular with drifters at night, so if you've got transport (in the form of a rental car) it could be cool.

Also at the base of Mt. Fuji you can find several lakes and resort areas, all easily accessible by bus including:

Lake Kawaguchiko

Lake Yamanakako

Lake Shoji

Lake Motosu

and a few others.

Plus, there's numerous museums, caves (ice cave, bat cave etc) to see, a couple of nice waterfalls, a small theme park: Fuji Q Highland plus a fair bit more)

Also be aware, Fuji is not that far from Yokohama, which is a pretty cool place to visit too.

a few pics to give you an idea of what you can see in the Fuji five lakes/hankone areas...

Lake Shoji

lake_shoji_2.jpg

View from 5th step, Mt. Fuji.

Fuji_09.jpg

Shirakabako Waterfall

DSC04159.jpg

Restaurant in Kawaguchiko where the owner is a bit of a car nut. In addition to a seriously stretched limo, and a Lambo he also recently acquired this:

DSC04148.jpg

View of Fuji from Lake Kawaguchiko.

DSC04135.jpg

Hey Demon Dave et all,

Thanks for all the info!! I really apprecitate it. I will have a browse through the threads and see what else I can find.

This sounds like it's gonna be a mad trip.

Hopefully I'll catch up with some of you while I'm there.

Cheers,

Dave.