SAU Community

New Gtr Owner Perth

Davee

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just awesome. Havnt really driven it much around Perth yet. Just the road trip from Sydney so far.

Yep thats a good description. Let me know if you want to catch up for a drive sometime, there are some great roads I'm sure you would enjoy not far from Perth. Of course, I'll bring my own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just purchased a 35 from Northside Nissan in Perth, and they can actually do full exhaust upgrades as well as Cobb tunes. These are covered under the warrenty (all parts are Willall Racing).

However they do charge a premium for the parts so now I'm just in the process of seeing if they will allow me to supply the parts, they do the install and I still keep my warranty intact.

Edited by JieLine

I've just purchased a 35 from Northside Nissan in Perth, and they can actually do full exhaust upgrades as well as Cobb tunes. These are covered under the warrenty (all parts are Willall Racing).

However they do charge a premium for the parts so now I'm just in the process of seeing if they will allow me to supply the parts, they do the install and I still keep my warranty intact.

Interesting. I hope you got this in writing from the dealer.

As far as I am aware (as discussed with my dealer here in Brisbane) if anything fails after you've done anything to the car that contradicts the 11 pages of "how to void your warranty" in the vehicle manual eg. especially power mods like Cobb tune, full exhaust, and or intake mods resulting in more power - you're fuuuked!!

I spoke to Sam at Northside who said the same thing. but I didn't ask on total price to supply and install Mid-pipe and COBB tune reflash. How much did Northside quote you if you don't mind sharing???

Here are the quotes I have got:

Note all Willall Racing products:

Stainless Steel Mid Pipe - $1100

Stainless Steel Full pipe - $2500

Titanium Mid Pipe - $2000

Titanium Full Pipe - $6500.

A fitted Cob Tune would cost $2500.

So going off the Willall Racing website, everything quoted by the dealership is nearly double in price... Maybe thats the price to keep warrenty?

Edited by JieLine

Interesting.

According to Brookvale's GTR tech, a midpipe and aftermarket filters are ok for warranty but a Cobb tune wasn't =/

Agreed, I share the same opinion on the Cobb tune not being warranty covered. From what I've been told by honest service techs is that any dealership saying aftermarket tunes are acceptable to Nissan Japan, is selling a whole heap of bull 5hit.. Not only that, for a Dealer to mislead GTR owners out of their warranty like that is nothing short of criminal.

I'll bet a carton of beer on the fact that no one here will ever get a legitimate letter out of Nissan Austraila accepting liability for anything that goes wrong while running full aftermarket exhausts and Cobb/Willall/etc custom tunes during the warranty period. :thumbsup:

Edited by Wardski

...So going off the Willall Racing website, everything quoted by the dealership is nearly double in price... Maybe thats the price to keep warrenty?

I doubt it. I don't think these costs will cover a $20k tranny....

Well I am only going off what they have told me so far, I said the same thing when I was given the information... I was expecting an exhaust to be okay but not a tune. After my comment the dealership said yes, its a fine line concerning the tune. The willall tunes offered under by the dealership are covered by the warrenty, but if you push it past a certain point, excessive boost etc etc the warrenty is void.

Well I am only going off what they have told me so far, I said the same thing when I was given the information... I was expecting an exhaust to be okay but not a tune. After my comment the dealership said yes, its a fine line concerning the tune. The willall tunes offered under by the dealership are covered by the warrenty, but if you push it past a certain point, excessive boost etc etc the warrenty is void.

Page GTR-5 of the Owner's manual indicates:

Anything damaged due to a change in tune resulting in a +10kPa (1.45PSi) rise in boost (which is easily possible with boost spike on an aftermarket TBE) - at the owners cost

Anything damaged due to a change in AFR's to +12 - at the owners cost

All authorised GT-R modification parts are to be supplied with a "specified mark" indicating they have been checked & tested, and approved by Nissan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against mods. Every one of my Subie's and Evo's I've owned in the past have all been modified, and if I blew a tranny in the GTR I can afford it to replace it at my own cost. I just think looking at NAGTROC and other forums, there have been quite a few failures with non-modded GT-R's, as well as others who have modded and have had the usual cry about it when Nissan has refused to warranty it.

At the end of the day, you mod at your own risk, and for a $190k+ brand new price tag, if you can't afford to deal with footing the bill yourself, then stick to basic things during that period where Nissan can't argue their way out of repairs.

Edited by Wardski

How much warranty does a Nissan dealer have give on a GT-R that they are selling that is over 3 years old? (ie out of the of the original 3 year warranty)

As far as I am aware, they have no obligation to extend, however some dealers are providing further extensions for re-certified cars...

Out of interest, when I was trolling thru my vehicle manuals over the weekend - the GT-R is the first car that I've ever owned that has a page reserved at the very back of the service booklet to write in the serial nos for up to 3 new transmission replacements! It's a bit alarming to say the least.....

Edited by Wardski

So obviously they knew right back at the development phase of the car that the transmission was never going to handle the power that the engine was producing for an extended period of time and through the life of the vehicle the transmission would need to be replaced several times (as Nissan don’t fix they just replace) Next time I make an offer on a used GT-R, I’ll be telling the dealer that I’ll have to take 20k of his asking price because according to Nissan I’m going to have to change the transmission sometime in the future. That’s going to do wonders to the 2nd value of these vehicles once they're out of warranty.

Edited by GT-R OZ

So obviously they knew right back at the development phase of the car that the transmission was never going to handle the power that the engine was producing for an extended period of time and through the life of the vehicle the transmission would need to be replaced several times (as Nissan don’t fix they just replace) Next time I make an offer on a used GT-R, I’ll be telling the dealer that I’ll have to take 20k of his asking price because according to Nissan I’m going to have to change the transmission sometime in the future. That’s going to do wonders to the 2nd value of these vehicles once they're out of warranty.

It's obvious that the transmission is the weakest link in the almighty GT-R. With this in mind, we're already seeing <3yr old 2009's go for under $100k, and I expect them to drop down to sub $80k very early next year unless Nissan start issuing extended warranties to cover the higher frequency faults like this.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Nissan have been proactive in fixing the known transmission issues, but they have attempted "creative" intermediate fixes along the way, some of which have introduced new issues. For example, the very original 2007 models had the worst tranny issues with a shortened output shaft which resulted in stripping pinion gears.. The shaft was then lengthened and secured with cir-clips. Further down the line, the cir-clips have been found prone to fail as we have seen in the US, even in the latest 2012 models. The gear select solenoid/pistons and pressure sensor failures have been known to fail in all models across the board. In the 2012, Nissan have applied a strengthened shift fork. Some have said this is a great idea, but GT-R tranny builders in the US have commented that the fork will be more susceptable to shear forces as its more rigid and the flexibility is heavily reduced. Only time will tell...

What concerns me is that these failures are just as likely to happen in modded GT-R's as they are in stock.

There's some interesting reading here (http://www.nagtroc.o...ion-drivetrain/) as well as a Transmission Failure Registry.

In my honest oppinion, I think you would have to be mighty unlucky to have a transmission failure in a stock GT-R unless you launched it 10 times every day. However all things aside, with all the negative press covered in a multitude of forums around the world, the crappy little 3yr non-extendable Nissan warranty has to be questioned in terms of "resale", especially when the US gets 5yrs.

Edited by Wardski