SAU Community

Popping On Decel

If you have a Vipec and you're running a map sensor, then the ATMO BOVs shouldn't be a problem. I've never liked them because the cars were never designed to operate that way, but thats just me, I've always noticed cars run better with the plumb back ones on. But where there are heavy mods, it doesn't usually matter any more.

Also, after clearing your cat, you might need a tune.

When I mentioned the plugs fouling, that will only happen with ATMO BOV's and AFMs.

But as I said earlier, with no cats, you will always get popping and flames, because the cats always block this. Its also how a cop can tell if you have not cat - because you are blowing flames. A smart one will simply hear it via the popping.

Anyway, the short version - No cats = popping and flames.

A cat will not stop the car popping and back firing.

On a dead standard brand new XR6T if you shift down a gear at the right point in the 6 Speed Autos, they will pop and back fire loudly (To the point I can make people jump on the sidewalk)

And yes, it has a fully functional cat.

Mufflers are what reduce the noise.

Must be tune related.

I would be looking at another tuner perhaps, if they missed such a thing on the initial tune what did they miss/not do second time around.

particularly if you had to drive back to QLD.

Mine as said above pops lightly on 1st to 2nd if i rev it out slowly sometimes, also has little flutter pops under deceleration, depends on conditions also how ive been driving etc.

Car runs bit rich at present and is going in for a tune shortly with new mods will see how she goes afer that.

GL with it.

i live in qld just a few hours west of brissie. would go somewhere else but then i'd have to pay. spent over 15k on the car when it went there in the first place so they can fix their stuff ups for free... i pay good money i expect a perfect job. They seem happy to try an fix it for me is just annyoying having a sick car in the mean time while i try an find time to take it back down. suprised it hasnt opened the exhaust up anywhere, the little flutter pops dont worry me its the ones that sound like an old black powder rifle.

When I fiddled with settings related to fuel cut(raising the cut), my car would often pop pop pop when the revs drop in a gear. On occasions, you get the massive f**k off BOOM MOTHER f**kER that will scare most people. Ive got a 5" cat. It most certainly is tune related. If I drop my fuel cut back to standard, its not as noticeable in the lower RPM range.

I think its quite awesome. My mates old GTIR would pop insanely. My old R33 would shoot flames, it had a gutted cat(which I honestly had no idea about).

I wrapped my dump pipe up in some heat wrap and now when I drive the car with abit of oomph, these pops are certainly more persistant lol.

Edited by SargeRX8

I'm the same as you mate

I like the sound of mine popping on decel haha

But it doesn't sound like a rifle its just a nice little pop here and there

Before I adjusted my TPS I had rifle shots.

I'm yet to see a nice flame as my left hand mirror is set up to look at the gutter for when parking (yet to master)

• 1 month later...

I'm the same as you mate

I like the sound of mine popping on decel haha

But it doesn't sound like a rifle its just a nice little pop here and there

Before I adjusted my TPS I had rifle shots.

I'm yet to see a nice flame as my left hand mirror is set up to look at the gutter for when parking (yet to master)

TPS? wots that stand for? sorry im still at noob lol.

Car is booked in for friday, hopefully they can sort it an get it right this time. :unsure:

Took it back, had a diffrent tuner there, an they changed the tune a fair bit, now there is just one little bit that isnt perfect, sometimes when i change up a gear under full acceleration, the power comes on in the nxt gear for bout half a second, then it coughs then it goes hard, an only throws flames occasionally =) Oh an pick up nearly 40hp atw :woot: an the power comes on much beta an smoother down low.