SAU Community

Rb20 Nistune Computer And Z32 Afm Issues

I've slowly been gathering parts to upgrade the power output of my '92 R32 GTS-T and am about to embark on putting it all together.

So far I have:

-RB25 turbo rebuilt with Garrett 2871 core (brand new) plus line kit

-550cc denso injectors (cleaned and flow tested)

-Z32 AFM (Bosch)

-New dump/front pipe

-Manifold gasket and stud kit

Pre-existing power mods include 600x300 front mount, 3 inch exhaust, gutted cat, superspark coil packs, boxed pod filter, home job cold air intake, turbotech manual boost controller, bosch in tank fuel pump (040?) - 143.5 rwkw @ 10-11 psi

My mate has offered me a second hand Nistune computer however he is unsure of what it has been mapped to run as it came with a track car he purchased but never got going

First question: I've been told that a nistune computer will not run a Z32 AFM unless it has already been mapped to do so, this is an issue as I need to be able to limp the car to my tuner, the second hand computer may have been running an AFM with a blue label branded JECS but I'm not sure. Is my only option to change the AFM once I get to the dyno?

Second question: The second hand Nistune has the same sticker as my stock computer but none of the serial numbers/ codes are the same (big number on mates computer is 15, mine says BH) I've been told there is dozens of different RB20 computers, is there a way i can make sure it's not for an RB25? Should I check to see if it runs with the current setup before I swap my turbo?

Third question: Have I overlooked anything in this build? The guy who built my turbo reckons it will be good for 240rwkw, I'll be happy with 200 as long as it's responsive.

Mate was running pretty much the same setup, except GT-R injectors and HKS GT-RS turbo, in an R31 drift car and made 237 rwkw @ 20 odd pound

Edited by Luke HCR32

There is no such thing as a Nistuned RB25 ECu, so you have no worries there, unless the ECU is for a completely different car (like a Z32 maybe). Don't worry about it. Just change the AFM at the tuner. 5 minute job. Don't worry about it. Got any idea what the compressions on your motor are? Don't be throwing too much boost at it if it's leaky, as you will be chasing oil control solutions 2 days after you get it tuned.

Haven't tested compression, do have a mate with a compression tester though, I'm already burning oil but it seems to be coming through the compressor housing seal on the turbo - one of the reasons i got my act together on a turbo swap.

Not planning to throw too much boost around, regardless of how much power it makes I'll be setting the boost for about 190-200kw for street use.

My stock ECU:

Big letters: BH

Second Line: 23710 11U00

Third Line: MEC-R212 B 2203

Nistune ECU:

Big letters: 15

Second Line: 23710 94L10

Third Line: MEC-R113 B 9X19

My spare stock ECU:

Big letters: BJ

Second Line: 23710 11U10

Third Line: MEC-R213 B 2108

What is throwing me is that my two stock ECU's are so similar and the Nistune I've acquired is not.

All ECU's look identical except for slight variations in the mounting brackets.

Have a look on the Nistune website, they have a compatible ecu list eg: numbers etc.

Its in the support/download section from memory, but if it already has a nistune board fitted then all you will need is a base map to get you to the tuners.

This is also in the support/download section.

If you dont own the software,then there is a trial version that will last an hour or something, enough time to get you sorted for the base.

Read up a bit on it first though because you might not be able to adjust everything you need if you go in blind.

No Nothing wrong. But don't throw random untuned (for your setup) ECU into car and drive. That's just silly. Likely won't even run anyway, as the injector size will be all wrong and the idle mixtures will make it run like a dog at best. And that's without even considering the effect of the Z32 AFM.

The compatible ECU issue is a non-issue as the board is already installed, if you were buying a 2nd hand board that had the base image for a different model of ECU then you would have an issue.

As said, you need a consult cable and a copy of the software.

There are built-in functions to resize the maps for different injectors and AFM's but you really need a wideband so you can tweak the K constant - unless you know what you're doing I would just tow it to the tuners :)

Before the car is started with that Nistuned ECU, it would be best reverting back to a RB20 basemap (effectively overwritting whatever is loaded), then there is really 3 things you have to modify.

#1 MAF translation (I believe just a matter of selecting Z32 from a dropdown box).

#2 Resizing the injectors from stock to 550cc

#3 Finally injector lag time in microseconds ( http://www.nengun.com/sard/injectors says 0.85 millisec for your 550's, old Nistune required you to double this valve so you would enter 1700 microseconds or 850 microseconds if using a recent version of Nistune where you don't need to double the value).

In this state it would be drivable to the tuners, I just wouldn't drive it around like that unless AFRs were checked.

^^ pretty much but with the two translation and the latency change you usually still have to fiddle with the K constant to get it driving OK which you can't (read: shouldn't) do without a wideband.

IF you do go about it that way and try to drive it to the tuners, DON'T BOOST IT, and take a spare set of plugs to swap in when you get there as they will probably foul up on the drive.

My tuner has recommended I drive there with everything installed but the Z32 AFM and swap that in when I get there along with new plugs (NGK platinum 7's), have to granny it 25 kms to get there.