SAU Community

R34 25Gt Na To Rb26 Conversion?

OK i get the feeling im about to get a bit scrutiny but i would like to know if it is possible to put a Rb26 Dett in my r34 25gt

The reason being is i am going on my opens shortly and i would like more power.

Is it worth me selling my R34 25gt and buying a 25gt-t and live with the power it has or put a r26 in my car?

This car is used to drift when i can find the time and or money, but is also my daily.

The Car: Nissan Skyline r34 25GT 1998 Manual

I have upgraded to the turbo lsd diff with shim out of the r34 GT-T,

I have Upgraded my brakes from the r34 GT-T front and rear ( 4 pot front, 2 pot Rear)

I have upgraded to the exedy heavy duty clutch.

And a few other things that dont matter here like hid`s in my xennons etc

Anything is possible. Is it realistically worth the cost?

Option 1

A RB26 conversion with a complete motor/piping/airbox/loom/labour is going to cost you 5-6k, and realistically you'd change the turbos before installing the motor so thats another $2500. Then FMIC, exhaust, fuel pump potentially coil packs... There goes another $2000. Then your clutch doesn't sound like it'll hold the power so factor that in as well. It'll be a 10k trip to do it properly.

You'll have around 270-320rwkw and a car that'll still handle and brake like shit. 10k spent easily as brakes/suspension is not factored in here.

Option 2

Sell and buy a GT-t

Simply get a FMIC, ECU/exhaust/fuel pump and you'll probably find thats enough to keep you going for a while with 200rwkw or so whilst you learn to drive it. You might even pickup one with a few mods on it easily enough - Let someone else spend the money, you benefit.

Once you are proficient upgrade brakes & suspension, if you have cash left over then change turbo (factory replacement lotmount)/injectors/AFM and end up with around 260-280rwkw. Another $5000 there as well.

You'll have around 260-280rwkw, plenty of experience and most importantly - A car that'll brake and handle MUCH better, which is faster. Under 10k spent.

Pretty easy to see why Option 2 is the far better choice. A RB26 isn't the be all and end all.

It isn't worth the money.

Even better than option 2 is option 3:

Buy a GTS-T with all those mods already for a fraction of the cost, the owner will probably have f**ked half them up, but it is still cheaper to fix his average mods then to start from scratch.

The conversion to do it properly will cost around 9 to 10 grand unless you shop for bargains. You will need a fair bit of customizing sumps and exhaust stuff like that costs a fair bit plus the engine with a 3 grand price tag along with ecu and loom. You also need to decide if you want to keep it stock or upgrade things before hand.

Shopping list

Rb26 2 to 3 grand for a decent one

Loom and ecu 400

Sump conversion 300+

Front pipes 300 to 500

Front mount with piping 500 to ?

New gaskets and other good to buy bits 500+

new heater hoses 300+

safety money 1000

Labour 4000+

I would say 4k+ for a decent 26, 2-3k would be an average 32gtr motor

I would say depends how much money you have to spend. It doesn't seem that easy these days to "just" sell your car the way the market it is could take ages unless you sell it real cheap. You could just buy a Turbs neo motor which would be the easiest route for a conversion, and 25's are alot cheaper to fix if you plan to drift it every now and again.

It's easy to sell a car, price it to sell. I mean people still think they can get 30k for a stock motor R33 GTR with a bolt ons... They are kidding themselves. The cars are 15+ years old.

N/A R34s seem to sell quite easily due to all the new p-plate restrictions in most states. You get the good looks of the R34 and the motor isn't a total gutless wonder for what it is. It's all about pricing it appropriately and being realistic.