SAU Community

Playing Mp3S

Hey there fellow forums members. I am after some suggestions about playing mp3s in my V35. Mine is a 2006 premium coupe. I had an fm expander put in so I can listen to all the stations on the radio but I am really keen to be able to listen to mp3s. The CD player that plays old school CDs just doesn’t cut it. I know there are a number of options available to me but I just wanted to see how you guys went about it.

From what I have read I have these options:

1. Replace fascia and all the internals with aftermarket parts. This is probably the nicest solution but is expensive.

2. I have a cable in the middle storage box that is connected to the car (car came like this). I read somewhere that it could be used for some sort of a phone and possibly some old gen iPod. I did some research and it looks like you can buy a conversion cable that can then connect to your iPod (which I don’t have). I recall the cable being expensive for what it is and the quality of sound was supposedly not so good.

3. Buy an iPod and an fm transmitter so you can listen to music though radio. The only bad thing about this is I won't be able to use steering wheel controls.

Are there any other alternatives to the above? I have my birthday coming up soon and think I will ask to get an iPod and then I will just buy an fm transmitter (not sure which brand or type). This seems like the best solution for me as it's simple and cheap. What do you guys think? How do you play your mp3s?

Edited by MikhailV87

do you have a tape deck? if so you could get one of those tapes that allows you to connect to mp3's. This would probably be the cheapest option however you will probs loose some music quality

here are my experiences:

the tape player adapters give poor sound quality

the ebay cigarette lighter fm transmitters give lots of electrical feedback/whistling

ive heard an aerpro brand fm transmitter from supercheap ...sounded perfect

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Aerpro-FM-Transmitter-To-suit-Ipod-MP3-3-5mm-Lead-Jack/224803

Don't know what brand of tape player adapter you guys had but mine sounds great. I have tried FM transmitter and they were no where near the sound quality of the tape adapter.. Maybe your tape player just needed a clean?

I have a G35 head unit which plays MP3 CDs, and doesn't need the band expander for the radio.. You just need one from the same series (ser1 or 2), and since you have a premium model, you will need a bose g35 unit..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don’t have a tape player in mine. I have a factory MD player. I thought it was a tape player at first but it isn't. Don’t think there is an adapter for them.

I decided to go with the iPod. Now I just have to figure out the best way to connect it to my car which will most likely be through an fm transmitter. Would be great to be able to use the steering wheel controls. I saw a few fm transmitters on ebay come with a little remote control you can attach to the steering wheel so might go with that. But then again quality of ebay products is not that great so I am not sure.

Has anyone got an AUX input put in? How much would that cost?