SAU Community

Need Help With Power Window Switch

DragonX2X

Hi guys,

I recently bought a R33 and it has been a great ride. Just yesterday night after work, my driver side window decided to stop working completely. Started having minor problems few days ago where it stop working and after 15-30mins, it work again. Now the window is fully down, thus the "problem". I have read through the possible fix/problem and would like to see if any members here is driving a R33 s2 (yr1996) that I can borrow their window switch to test if it's the switch faulty or the motor. I've checked the relay box and switch, both seems fine though the "auto" switch doesnt feel smooth like the passenger switch beside. I'm over at Salisbury area so I'll see how we can arrange a meeting or something..any help/advice?

Thanks Heaps

Edited by DragonX2X

Mate, there's a much easier way to test the motor than ripping the door trim off of 2 skylines. All you need is a multimeter and a few wires.

When you take the plug out of the relay box, there will be 2 wires coming in as a power source and earth, use the multimeter to detect those, it'll have 12V between them. Then find the wires that actually lead to the motor. using the spare wires you have, attach them to the power wires and then to the motor to give it +12V or -12V. (note, be careful as the motor won't stop when it hits the upper/lower limits, that funtionality is housed within the relay). Youcan use that to verify that the motor is working (or isn't working).

If it is the relay box you can take them apart and resolder the joints, which fixes the issues most of the time. Until then you could drive aroudn with the door trim off and wires handy to be able to use your window, at least that's what i did for a few days.

I cant edit my earlier post...

My keyless remote does close the window when i lock the car with it, so does it bypass the switch? the window still isnt working even when the remote is used, does that points to a faulty window motor?

• 3 months later...

Just an "update"

Since then I managed to get the window fixed, got a used motor from wreckers and fix it up and it's working again. Just recently the motor went dead and Daniel from ERD found issues with the wiring too. Went to find Chris Rogers (Audio Express) to have it check and fix, all done very quickly and now the window is working again, motor's fine too. All due to the EVIL remote wind up. haha Thanks heaps Chris, you helped me save quite a few bucks there. Cheers :)

Edited by DragonX2X