SAU Community

Harness Bar, Can I Make My Own?

75coupe

Sparco pro2000 seats, two 4 point takata harnesses, I dont mind removing the rear seat of course as its useless now...

but I dont want a full or half cage until I want to go full weld in, but I do need harness mount points for track days and other events.

I know Meridian do harness bars that go between the rear seatbelt upper mounting points, but they are in Vic, Im in NSW makes sense to buy local, plus they probably want my car to fit it properly, I havnt asked.

Question is, can I just make my own? I can weld, I can measure is there anything more to it for just a harness bar?

or is there others in my area that can make one up that is reasonable price, afterall its not for competition/professional use & its not for registration or legal purposes afaik...

USA seems to have these on the market for r33, they mount between the front upper seatbelt mounts and have more mounts going to the lower seatbelt mounts, so the harness will be mounted at around shoulder height just behind the seat. anyone have an opinion on these...

http://www.cipheraut...-GM-Harness-Bar

harness-2.jpgharness-3.jpg

That r35 bar wouldn't do much in a decent front end accident.

I've custom made a fair few harness bars, normally using a bolt in system that's reinforced to the rear strut towers or suitable location.

• 1 year later...

everyday life and sau nats got in the way of making something, now getting ready to move house so its on hold, I keep my eye out for a decent half cage with harness bar... making one would be nice cause I like projects.