SAU Community

Stag Noob Needs Help

180Shauny

I'm back with some further queries, been looking at a Stagea from an importer this morning. Couldn't drive as it wasn't complied but did start it up.

1) Has a Nismo cold air intake and what appears to be full Nismo exhaust, is this just extra bling or adds some serious horsepower?

2) Fumes coming out the exhaust were extremely potent, similar to what I had in my old 180SX, is this normal? Could it be a lack of cat's or a sign the car is running stupidly rich?

3) Had an aftermarket screen and dvd installed, there was a gaping hole in the upper passenger glove box, I believe it's single DIN and holds something in the ARX models?

4) Stock rims were, I think, 215/55/R17 can anyone confirm so I can price some rubber? Will any other sizes fit?

5) Seemed fairly clear of rust, gonna put it on a hoist next week, only rust I could find was the top stud of the suspension where it pokes up into engine bay so that should be replaceable. Car does have snow tyres fitted though.

6) Car is a 2003 model, which means in Victoria it should be covered by 3 month statutory warranty right?

7) Fitted with a Pioneer Carrozzeria system, seems very complete, anyone know about translating these?

They're asking $11500 complied, seems pretty reasonable to me, its an RS with 84000kms, paint and panels seem clean. Thoughts and comments appreciated...

Nismo stuff is good. Does it have twin square tips or one round tip? Square is better than round. No such thing as a full system as I understand, only catback. You want to get dump pipe and front pipe sorted if buying.

Might not have a cat in it, but should have one for compliance. Could run rich because it's o2sensor is farked.

Hole is from removal of the factory nav and or etc system. Close the top and forget about it.

Tyre size is right for factory wheels, don't be ghey, get some jap aftermarket.

Snow tyres? Sounds like your importer and or compliance place is dodgy as Fark. Shouldn't have jap tyres at all, let alone snow tyres. Might be a snow car, might have just had em slapped on. If snow car, will have some level of rust

Yes, covered for 3months

Nfi about the sound, but generally not translate able. Replace it.

Sounds very cheap.be very careful.

Hey PN-Mad, square tips, wouldn't surprise me if he'd already fitted the front and dump pipes. O2 sensor is an easy on older Nissans, is that the case here?

Car is not complied right now, he only received it the day before, that's why the snow tyres were on.

Agreed will be very careful.

Ok, well, it's probably not going to run great just having arrived. Don't worry to much about the exhaust smell. Would most likely go away with a bit of use. O2 sensor isn't complicated, but a pain to get at I believe.

What you need to figure out is what they are going to do at compliance. There is a long list of things. Ask them what they are going to do, and why they are not going to do other things. Example, it shouldn't be complied with that exhaust, and tyres. It's illegal. Plain as that. If they don't change that, will they even bother to service it?

There is a lot of advice we could give here. Do all your normal checks. Oil, trans fluid should be nice and red, should shift smoothly, check everywhere for rust. If its on the strut towers it's not a good thing. Look for underbody sealant. Turbos have a distinct sound, go drive as many as possible. Drive 3 they will all have different sounds. Suspension knocks, check for body damage, non std bolts and fittings for repairs. Driveshafts etc. Steering lock to lock. Rumbles frm wheel bearings.

Let them comply it, then you can drive it with a trader plate. Go look at some other cars for the experience.

I wouldn't worry about things like the exhaust being changed. If a car comes through with an a/market exhaust they simply fit a standard exhaust and compliance cat, then when inspected they will refit the a/market exhaust. That's a bonus for you as you don't need to spend cash buying an a/market exhaust. Just make sure fluids and filters are changed, drivers door mirror lense changed, australian approved dot tyres fitted, child seat anchors and to be completely legal they should remove the xenon headlight globes and change it or halogen. They also are meant to change the way the drivers elec window operates so it can't operate for a short period of time when the ignition is switched. I wouldn't worry about that being done though. They should also fit 3 compliance cats to a new dump/front pipe to replace the existing set up. I wouldn't worry about that also as most people like to fit a 3" a/market dump without a cat and a 3" front pipe with a high flow cat. The compliance cat setup will be very restrictive.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Oh, they should also fit new wiper blades, radio expander and australiance compliance immobilizer. Doesn't have to be a full alarm just an auto arming standards approved immobilizer.

Edited by slippylotion

This is true. But I would be very suprised if it had aftermarket dump and front pipe. Catback is normal.

And radio expander, but the aftermarket system might Already have that.

Great advice thanks again, will go and get behind the wheel of a few cars. Incidentally my Dad's Camry lets you use the power windows for 40sec after ignition goes off so not sure where that fits with AusStds

Will of course go through all the normal checks for buying a second hand car too. The car radio was tuned in and receiving Australian stations so I assume the expander is there.

So funny thing I started asking about service books, derego cert and compliance details....the car magically sold to "one of his regulars"....

Thanks so much for all your help guys, I now know a lot of what I should be checking for. The hunt goes on!

Hi guys just on the topic of stageas for sale and things that may need looking at i have inspected a stagea and found : Front drive belt (rubber is a bit perished), Rocker cover gasket, Engine belt squeels (needs replacing or tightening??) Rear transmission seal needs changing, Brake pads front and rear. All needs changing next service what should i roughly budget for in repairs?

Thanks in advance

I'm obviuosly no Stag expert, but know a bit about cars. If one belt is gone, odds are others are in similar shape and once you get to the belts you may as well do them all.

Rocker cover gasket is easy to fix but takes time to pull the cover off if there is intake, etc sitting on it. Belt squeals are generally just a tighten up but as mentioned, replace them all together.

Do you mean rear main seal? They are usually a pain....

Brake pads about $150 a set for decent ones from experience.

Maybe one of the other guys can give time estimates? Good luck....if you don't want the car PM me the details if its in Melbourne....

Thanks, it's just the rear transmission seal positioned just behind the gear stick. Just after a rough ball park figure am I looking a $1000, $2000 or more by the sounds of it it's a bit more then a few little jobs ? Cheers