SAU Community

Nistune

Can anyone tell me if a Nistune type 4 board that has been purchased for a different model car can be used for another model than it was purchased for ? Both model cars are suitable for the same type 4 board but it has had a basic flash for another model car.

Yep, did it for mine. Had it reprogrammed with a S2 Stagea image to eliminate the traction control in my R34.

Hanaldo we shud have just swapped ecus man, I dont know why I have the stagea ecu in my 34, and yes traction control doesnt work of course.. Sometimes i feel like my car is as slow as a stagea boat haha..

If you have a Stagea ECU in your R34, then even if the fuel and ignition maps are the same, the car will drive differently. The Stagea ECU is probably from an auto, and from my experience, that wasn't as good as a manual image.

If you have a Stagea ECU in your R34, then even if the fuel and ignition maps are the same, the car will drive differently. The Stagea ECU is probably from an auto, and from my experience, that wasn't as good as a manual image.

It doesn't drive any different. At least not in my case, I don't know if there is a difference between an R34 ECU reprogrammed to use the Stagea image and a Stagea ECU. But I took mine out, posted it off to Matt at NIStune, then 4 days later I plugged it back in and drove it again. Absolutely no difference in the way it drove, except I noticed the misfire at ~5000rpm cause by the ECU pulling timing/fuel had gone. It was otherwise exactly the same.

Hanaldo we shud have just swapped ecus man, I dont know why I have the stagea ecu in my 34, and yes traction control doesnt work of course.. Sometimes i feel like my car is as slow as a stagea boat haha..

It's a null point now, I'm not using it anymore. Turns out... You didn't want to use my ECU. Fkn thing.

It's a null point now, I'm not using it anymore. Turns out... You didn't want to use my ECU. Fkn thing.

Hey Hanaldo, you ended up going with the threaded Haltech IAT sensor for your Link G4 yes? How did it go with the tuning?

I might get one aswell and get rid of my Bosch open element sensor, I can't see an easy way to plumb it into the intake :/

Hey Hanaldo, you ended up going with the threaded Haltech IAT sensor for your Link G4 yes? How did it go with the tuning?

I might get one aswell and get rid of my Bosch open element sensor, I can't see an easy way to plumb it into the intake :/

Yeh man, I got one of the ones that David sells. I'll have to let you know how it goes with tuning, my tuner is still working on it. Apparently the cold start tables take quite a bit of time to set up. I spoke to him on Friday though and he hasn't mentioned any problems, so should be all good. Expecting to have it back Tuesday/Wednesday arvo, so I'll let you know then :thumbsup:

It doesn't drive any different. At least not in my case, I don't know if there is a difference between an R34 ECU reprogrammed to use the Stagea image and a Stagea ECU. But I took mine out, posted it off to Matt at NIStune, then 4 days later I plugged it back in and drove it again. Absolutely no difference in the way it drove, except I noticed the misfire at ~5000rpm cause by the ECU pulling timing/fuel had gone. It was otherwise exactly the same.

You probably just didn't notice. Fuel economy was different, roll on throttle was less urgent, and the throttle close overrun ignition timing advance curves are different between auto and manuals and it makes the car lunge forward as you roll down through ~1500rpm in gear, throttle closed. Works well for autos, bloody awful when it happens in a manual. Even when I changed every single setting accessible to be the same as a manual ECU, it still wasn't quite right.

Possibly. If I'm decelerating then I'm never in first anyway, so never would have noticed. Fuel economy definitely wasn't any different though.

Stagea auto and manual maps are the same, unless the ECU is doing something in the background that Nistune can't access, only thing i can think of the the auto's gear shift map, which looks to either retard timing heavily or cut it completely during shift. don't think this would have any effect on an ecu without the shift logic board though.

looking at them a manual Stagea map is the almost the same as a R34 map, only differences i can see being rev limits, and minor difference in the cranking tables and VE table. Decel/run-down, pre/post enrich tables are all the same. there is however a major difference between the stagea/R34 maps and the R34 AA560 ecu, maybe a late model R34 with better mapping?

You probably just didn't notice. Fuel economy was different, roll on throttle was less urgent, and the throttle close overrun ignition timing advance curves are different between auto and manuals and it makes the car lunge forward as you roll down through ~1500rpm in gear, throttle closed. Works well for autos, bloody awful when it happens in a manual. Even when I changed every single setting accessible to be the same as a manual ECU, it still wasn't quite right.

This is a fact. My nistune was supplied with an auto image. Throttle recovery at 1800rpm shits me to tears and no way to fix it until I get the board is re-imaged with the manual base. Minor things like error codes for the lack of autobox etc obviously are always there.

This is a fact. My nistune was supplied with an auto image. Throttle recovery at 1800rpm shits me to tears and no way to fix it until I get the board is re-imaged with the manual base. Minor things like error codes for the lack of autobox etc obviously are always there.

Mine had to have been reprogrammed with a manual image then, I wasn't getting any error codes. I wasn't aware that the 25Neo Stags came in manual, I thought they were all auto.

I remember when Toshi took out my stagea ecu to Nistune it, he supplied me a manual R34 ecu to use for a week till I get my original one back. I couldnt notice any difference in idling, accel, decel, power or anything, felt more or less the same, are the differences that noticeable?

I was talking to Matt from Nistune about this when we started chasing my problem down. Nistune only shows you about 30% of what's available inside Nissan ECUs. There's plenty more going on in there than you know.

Edited by GTSBoy

Yeh man, I got one of the ones that David sells. I'll have to let you know how it goes with tuning, my tuner is still working on it. Apparently the cold start tables take quite a bit of time to set up. I spoke to him on Friday though and he hasn't mentioned any problems, so should be all good. Expecting to have it back Tuesday/Wednesday arvo, so I'll let you know then :thumbsup:

Cheers - look forward to seeing the results! :)