SAU Community

R33 High petrol usage!!!!!

R33_BO

Hey, i have a 93' R33 and first of all i would like to say that this car bloody ROCKS!!

However, I'm a little concered about the petrol usage.....i know that they use a lot of gas relative to other (naturally aspirated) cars but at the moment I'm getting just under 300K's for a full tank when driving it fairly quietly....is this normal??

From your post comparing yours to other NA cars, I'm assuming yours is a NA? That does sound a little odd...

I can imagine a turbo with some mods (and not much tuning) getting the figure down to this, but not a NA. My GTS-T (stock) currently runs around 400-420km/tank city driving, 620-650km country. (220km lead foot.)

So I'm sure with some tuning you can get your economy back up.

From your 1st post seems that you have just recently acquire your R33 and still "enjoying" the newfound pleasure trip to power zone.... which means you're likely to drive your R33 with a heavier right foot, right? It happened to me too and yes, fuel consumption can be high. It all depends how heavy your right foot is. Try to stay off boost most of the time and you'll see that RB25DET fuel consumption is similar to most other NA 6-cyl cars.

For a comparison freeway consumption should be around 10L/100km, while city consumption (depends on traffic) can be around 12-13L/100km. May jump to 15-16L/100km if you drive it "enthusiastly". If it's modified (higher than stock boost, aftermarket ecu, etc) then it can get higher.

yeah thas right... try not to have a heavy right foot so u dont use as much boost.. I had the same problem when i first bought my car.. its turbo with mild mods (front mount, bov, filter, s-afc and i do abt 260-320 on 10psi.. jus suburb driving

Thanks guys...yeah ur absolutly right! I got the car in december last year but i went to America for 4 1/2 months....when i got back there was a skyline in the garage for me and i guess i have been driving it a little "heavy" footed! Thanks for the info!

dont worry, its normal!

as a guide, over one weekend i did lots of open road driving, (not all freeway, mostly high speed twisty roads) and calculated 9.5L/100kms

in reasonably heavy city driving, most of the time consumption was between 16-18L/100kms.

btw, dont take the fuel gauge as a guide to when it is empty, u can only accurately measure consumption by filling up, resetting the trip meter, then next time u fill up see how much goes in and work it out with the distance travelled.

you could always try resetting the ECU.

disconnect the battery (in the boot under the parcel shelf), and either put your foot on the brake or leave the car overnight (to drain power stored around the car).

Reconnect the battery and drive 'Granny Style'. for the first 1-2 tanks of fuel.

The ECU starts on a base map, but then adapts to your driving style - the lighter you are on the gas, the better the fuel consumption will be!

NOTE: You'll have to reset your clock and radio settings, but my R33 GTSt gets about 400-450km daily driven (city and highway) out of a tank. My only Mod is a cat back exhaust (for now).

lol i get about 200k's per tank, but ppl tell me i drive it 100% on boost, :confused: dunno what they are talking about... /me runs

100% on boost? oooooo I would like to see it.. ;) Could it be that these ppl is saying that you hit boost all the time? :)

Hrmm... dang.. From memory. I get close to 300ks per tank and tats hammering it every now and then (well. .often). Tho mine is a R34 GTT tho and even this car is costing me a fortune to run.... Hell fun tho and the wastegate noise is awesome. :P

100% on boost? oooooo I would like to see it.. ;)  Could it be that these ppl is saying that you hit boost all the time? :)

Hrmm... dang.. From memory. I get close to 300ks per tank and tats hammering it every now and then (well. .often).  Tho mine is a R34 GTT tho and even this car is costing me a fortune to run.... Hell fun tho and the wastegate noise is awesome. :P

LOL, well u know what i mean, perhaps 100% throttle was a better thing to say :evil:

So far my car is at 1/4 tank left and 320 kms(haven't had it long)...roughly 15L/100Kms and there has been some "spirited" driving and a lot of city driving as well. Not too bad I guess.

So far my car is at 1/4 tank left and 320 kms(haven't had it long)...roughly 15L/100Kms and there has been some "spirited" driving and a lot of city driving as well. Not too bad I guess.

I just did 360km/55 litres which includes a full on 50-60km road tune and I hammer it quite often with a single way trip of 12km. Not the best for economy.

I think 400km is doable with some care. My motor also runs lowish compression (8.5:1 maybe).

T.

I usually get around 350-400km out of 55L, and that's with city driving, a PowerFC still on the base map (so sub 10.0:1 AFR's when booted), a button clutch (so more revs and a heavier throttle on takeoff) and a T3/4 turbo.

When the car was stock minus pod, exhaust and 10psi, I'd regularly see 550km from 55L. On one trip (Ipswich to Rainbow Beach and back, plus a bit of driving in between, stock minus a quiet 3" exhaust) I managed over 900km on 54L of premium, or less than 6L/100km :rant: I made it to Rainbow Beach on less than 1/3 of a tank. I sat on 110km/h pretty much the whole way, and being NYE of 2000, I drove with a very light foot. My car is MUCH more efficient at 110 than at 100, IMHO it would've done at least 70 or 80km less on that tank at 100km/h.

LOL you guys have some dodgy fuel consumptions. I get close to 500 if i baby it around and usually about 450 from week to week. Half highway, half city driving. My 02 sensor is dead as a doornail too, nissan diagnostics get no reading from it :rant: