SAU Community

R34 Auto Into R33 Is It Possible?

hi guys, im just wondering if it can be done, the car has alot of work and the 3/4 clutch has given up.

its running a power FC ecu, i know it can be bolted up, but will i need a different tailshaft/yoke and the main concern is the gearboxes ecu. not sure wether mine has been modded, but id say so to be running with the PowerFC, the ecu was in the car when i bought it.

cheers.

p.s would most likely put in a fully manualised KEAS valvebody aswell before bolting it up

Edited by OMY31T

I'm not going to say categorically yes or no......but......The R33 auto has a separate TCU in its own box. The R34 auto has the TCU as a little board as part of the ECU. The R34 auto is also tiptronic stylez, so the way it is controlled is different (ie, the switchgar it expects to see as inputs).

Also, isn't there some deal where you can't put a PowerFC into an auto R34 because of the location of the TCU as above? Meaning, the best tranny to use for such a purpose would probably be an R33 auto anyway.

Not going to be easy. Sounds like a headf**k. I wouldn't contemplate it. Why would you go to an auto anyway?

the car is already auto, and has been setup for it... and yeah i figued thiswas the case i just wanted some oher opinions, im also to believe the tiptroic is a weaker box aswell, i just had someone offer me one with 36,000mon it for $250 haha cheap box to rebuild, but iguess ill have to hunt out a decent r33 box.

yeah, im trying to get out of it without haveing to do a full rebuild atm. ive had it all costed out and to rebuild for 700rwhp, im looking at around $5k incl a stall converter. pretty good price, but just a bit hi for me to fund it right now, and need the car running.

Edited by OMY31T

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not going to say categorically yes or no......but......The R33 auto has a separate TCU in its own box. The R34 auto has the TCU as a little board as part of the ECU. The R34 auto is also tiptronic stylez, so the way it is controlled is different (ie, the switchgar it expects to see as inputs).

Also, isn't there some deal where you can't put a PowerFC into an auto R34 because of the location of the TCU as above? Meaning, the best tranny to use for such a purpose would probably be an R33 auto anyway.

Not going to be easy. Sounds like a headf**k. I wouldn't contemplate it. Why would you go to an auto anyway?

Not true if it's a non-turbo. ECU and TCU are still separate for non-turbo R34.

are they both re4s? check all the elctrical connections you'll prob find they're the same but r34 has different plug setup so would have to chop and change wiring, if they're not both re4s don't go there!

with a manualised valve body so no electrical issues should be doable?

Edited by WMDC35

• 2 weeks later...