SAU Community

R32 Gts (Non-Turbo) Conversion To Rb26Det?

Hey all, new to skyline australia and figured best place to ask the questions.

I currently am on my P-plates in Queensland and own a 1993 R32 GTS 2door. I bought the car off a mate and comes with an untouched rb20de showing around 160,000kms. Only mods done to the car are genuine sparco deep dish steering wheel, tein hr coilovers, advanti 17x8.5 wheels, exedy heavy duty clutch, solid rear cradle bushes, locker, pig pipes and stripped interior. The car has already seen a couple of track days at QR aswell as many industrials :).

However I am only on my P's for another 9months and am looking at my future options with the car. I am planning on further modifying the cars cosmetics (kit, new wheels, roof spoiler) and modifying the handling and suspension (adjustable arms, strut bars etc.) for the remaining 9 months as these are the only modifications as I am allowed to do.

Engine wise I am wanting to replace the rb20de with a rb26det (single turbo). What I am asking is if anyone has done this conversion from a non-turbo gts before or whether I am wasting my time and should just look into selling as I go on my open license.

I understand the hassles with converting to the 26 such as gearbox from awd to rwd and the adjustment to the sump and wiring etc.

Any advice or assistance would be great, look forward to hearing everyones thoughts and opinions.

Cheers,

Sell the car to another p plater as non turbo cars go for more $ than the turbo cars and save your money from the engine conversion, ($4k+) and the sold car, ($4-6k). That would roughly get you $10k+ together, then just buy a r32gtr with some added cash.

They can be had pretty cheap these days. 14-15k for a decent one. Then build up from there.

Sell the car to another p plater as non turbo cars go for more $ than the turbo cars and save your money from the engine conversion, ($4k+) and the sold car, ($4-6k). That would roughly get you $10k+ together, then just buy a r32gtr with some added cash.

They can be had pretty cheap these days. 14-15k for a decent one. Then build up from there.

Fair point, How difficult is it getting the GTR to RWD? I know you can remove a fuse i believe? but is there more to it than that? also is it worth still doing the handling and cosmetic mods to the N/A and then just changing over to the new car when i get it, or are most parts between the gts and gtr incompatible?

if you simply want rwd (i'm guessing you want to do skids, otherwise you'd be silly to want to run the gtr as rwd), then simply sell your car and buy a gts-t, then spend the extra money doing mods. don't bother with putting a rb26 in, because for much less money you could put in a rb25 and do mods to be putting out much more power than a rb26 for the same budget.

or buy a gtr as said above.