SAU Community

Touch Up Paint.

odessy

Anyone had good results with touch paint? Recommend any products/procedures? Got a few random scratches and a couple of stone chips on various panels that I would like to make less obvious.

The car is Black.

I've used some. I'll take some pics later and show you my result. I'm pretty happy with it, had to sand out kerb scratches first though. I've got some stone chips as well but I didn't want to go do it since it would look blotchy with a touch up brush or pressure can. Since your's is black, I don't think you'd need to prime it first but it would be recommended. I didn't prime mine so theres slight tone difference, but will be respraying it again to give it another coat.

If it's on metal panels, I personally wouldn't touch it since it won't be an even finish. I touched up my front bar. Head down to Autobarn and you can pick up either a little touch up paint with brush or a pressure can.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unless it's a special black, e.g. with pearls or matte. The closest black from your closest auto shop will sort of do the job if you're not looking for perfection. Otherwise, special paint shops will fix you a color to match your car's color code. Can be put in a spray can, tin, nail polish bottle, etc. Of course it will be more expensive.

If you're using a spray can, you can also shake well and spray some into the lid and use a small brush to touch up spots.

As for application, just make sure you have cleaned the area well and when you touch it up don't do a rushed job and try not to coat over or "fix" too much as the ingredients will end up hurting area surrounding more than you actually fixing it. (It will take off your clear coat).

Also make sure that you have a clean micro fibre cloth with some polish handy as soon as the paint is dry protect it. Usually touch up handy men will have some sort of cream polish, so it's not too harsh. Along with a small drill polisher, which if you have, great!