SAU Community

Rwd Rb25 Engine Into Stagea.

sriver killer

Hello guys,

Ive recently inherited a free series one stagea RS4 with a Dead engine!

I wouldnt mind getting her on the road as a neat daily and having the 4 doors is a bit of an advantage over my R33.

She requires a new motor, I also have a non turbo R33 RWD RB25DE with relatively low kms that could be my donor engine ( instead of repairing/forking out for another non neo rb25 engine turbo).

I'm really considering running a RB25DE+T in rwd as an alternative to paying through the arse for another awd RB25det. The stag could use with the extra torque of the DE+T

Two things that I don't have info on, do the cv joints on the front hubs pre-load the wheel bearings at all?

Any issues with attesa by not having that front diff there and running it in rwd constantly.

Otherwise I imagine it should be a straight forward bolt up affair.

I would imagine that you would need to keep in AWD or do a bit of trickery on the ECU.

Front wheel bearings will require the end of the CV joints to be bolted in place as they do hold the wheel bearings together.

Whats stopping you from putting the DE in front of the AWD box? I dont believe there as any reason that you could not bolt them together

I would imagine that you would need to keep in AWD or do a bit of trickery on the ECU.

Front wheel bearings will require the end of the CV joints to be bolted in place as they do hold the wheel bearings together.

Whats stopping you from putting the DE in front of the AWD box? I dont believe there as any reason that you could not bolt them together

Yer a bit unsure, I am still on the lookout for a fair priced awd 25det thou I just happen to have a solid running rb25de.

Are you 100% on the wheel bearings?

if its got a perfectly good awd box why not hook up an engine... the earlier c34's just had a s2 r33 rb25det or DE with an auto from a GTS4 didnt they? which means you could run an NA GTS4 ecu if you didnt go turbo.. im only learning, someone will come with the answers haha, cos im not 100% sure on that info.

I don't think the 2wd block will go on the awd sump without an adapter plate and if you're going to get one of those you may as well do an RB30!!

In NZ the awd RB25DET go for about $1500 and the awd neo turbo for $2000. if you can get an engine aound that mark you will save yourself a lot of stuffing around. Or maybe you can revive the dead motor with a few $$ worth of second hand parts - how bad is it?

good point, didnt think about the sump not bolting up :D

and heres ur answer from another thread i found :D

No, the sump bolt patterns are different, you would need an adaptor plate (same as what they use for RB30 4WD conversions) - $1000 +

You really need to find a Stagea Rb25DET and that would drop straight in, with just a diff gear swap (if they are different)

woo i learnt somthing today haha.

Edited by OMY31T

Adapter plates used to be around $1k but now that they are more common the price has come down to about $300 - $400.

Here's one for $175:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/engines/auction-495138653.htm

Its not a simple bolt up job though there's some grinding and adaptation needed.

I don't think the 2wd block will go on the awd sump without an adapter plate and if you're going to get one of those you may as well do an RB30!!

In NZ the awd RB25DET go for about $1500 and the awd neo turbo for $2000. if you can get an engine aound that mark you will save yourself a lot of stuffing around. Or maybe you can revive the dead motor with a few $$ worth of second hand parts - how bad is it?

Thats right awd sump doesnt swap over. Still want to confirm for sure without pulling it apart if the front cv joints hold preload on the wheel bearings.

An engine for $1500 is certainly alot cheaper than a rebuild at this stage.

Still want to confirm for sure without pulling it apart if the front cv joints hold preload on the wheel bearings.

Without the CV shaft bolted through the middle of the wheel bearing; the hub will pull out of wheel bearing.

You could always pull apart a CV shaft & use the stub to hold the bearing together, or get an engineering shop to machine a stub using yours as a sample. It'll be pricey due to the spline though.

Without the CV shaft bolted through the middle of the wheel bearing; the hub will pull out of wheel bearing.

You could always pull apart a CV shaft & use the stub to hold the bearing together, or get an engineering shop to machine a stub using yours as a sample. It'll be pricey due to the spline though.

Was hoping there would be better news than having the cv shaft hold it together =[

Time to find a GTS4 engine or a well priced stagea engine.

• 6 months later...