SAU Community

Supercharged Vs Turbocharged

Hi all

Ive got both options available at the mo as both are available in full kit form locally

however the turbo kit has no ecu,so what do you suggest for the piggyback?

Or should i go the blower which has the a/m ecu? Decisions!?!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what is your power goal?

Uprev for the ECU will work as long as you keep the AFM, even if upgraded AFM and will be most probably the cheapest/easiest solution.

Are you doing work yourself or handing it over to a workshop? Budget? Location?

i have a mate who has done the supercharger kit on a vq35de and has worked on lots of turbo cars before, as hes a mechanic

im in perth and no-one really does v35s over here. im a boilermaker so exhaust fab is no issue.no set budget as such.

leaning toward turbo kit cos its garret with hks pipes intercooler etc. any feedback much appreciated, might buy it tomorrow.

You need to search this section - there are plenty of threads on it - also look at my350z, and g35driver. however they have much inflated hp figures because they are USA USA USA

saw the kit, was mint and the price was too good not to buy it

so i did :yes:

brand new garret with hks gear even chucked in the auto upgrade for free

stoked- install next week 350hp here i come

Nice, got any pics? How are you tuning it?

the kit is an HKS special turbo system kit gt3037 56t

i can get a perfect power smt8 ecu for nothing, is this an anyway decent unit? or should i buy something else?

tuning at a mates workshop, its not what you know........... :rolleyes:

So, you know what you have to do to make the kit fit....?

Or is someone doing it for you?

Have you thought about injectors, fuel pump, plugs, exhaust, Upgraded AFM?

it has instruction manual in japanese but i know someone.... also the kit is made for a vq35de so shouldnt be a big issue

my car has a nismo a/m exhast and i know a guy who wants to swap mine for his coz he took a turbo kit off his putting it back stock to sell.

i know a guy with big injectors for sale if required and i have nismo irridium plugs in it looking into afm now

You will probably need colder plugs anyway. Do you have the number of the ones you put in?

I can get Bosch 1000's that drop straight in and idle perfectly for around $600 new, so don't pay too much for second hand ones, in fact I would be buying new anyway.

Your mate is going to be pissed with you, it isn't an easy kit to fit. Probably easier to pull the engine. Any idea what boost you plan to run? Has the tuner worked on VQ's before?

You might know a lot of people- But I installed that kit, got the tuning software, and made it run. On a car it was never designed for. So I know exactly what you have to change.

All I hope is that the people you know have some decent knowledge about VQ35des and turbos. Otherwise it'll never make it off the dyno. I suggest you research some more.

yeah hes done a vq with a vortek blower kit install in a 350z. My turbo guru has 15yrs exp with snails and charges in cartons of beer :no:

If he doesnt know it its not worth knowing so im in good hands.Im planning on 7psi at this stage cos thats what the previous guy ran on his.

Any thoughts on the perfect power smt8?

cheers

As PN-Mad said ther are many better options,

Haltech Platnium Pro (new one swaps the ecu completely), old one plugs into it <---- One of these prob the best option ~$2600 new, $1400 2nd hand from usa

Utec with MAP sensor <--- piggy back but also acts like a standalone after certain RPM <---- Pre Osiris was the best affordable EMS, $1000new (no longer made), $450/500 2nd hand from usa

Uprev Osiris <--- Cable and software to flash your stock ECU, good for a upto certain HP, but you need upgraded MAF $600 new, 2nd hand varies $400ish - there are more $ types like tuning model or something

The Haltech and Utec both run MAP sensors which you use instead of the MAF sensor.

Haltech is a must for another over 500HP id say

Utec is good if you like the extra like external map selector, boost controller etc and good for up to 500HP, maybe more

Osiris i dont know what HP this is good for...