SAU Community

Brake Pads/fluid

Razon

hey guys just a quick question and its probably been asked a thousand times but im in a hurry as i have to take it to the mechanics tomorrow...

im replacing my 33 gtst's rotors to slotted ones and the front brake pads need changing..., im going to change all 4 brake pads at the same time? read somewhere on forums that it might be a bad idea to change both the pads and rotors at the same time? is there any truth to this...

What is the best brake fluid to buy before i go and get my brakes done so i can get that replaced too?

I read on the braking forum that Bendex Ultimates might be the best to go for brakes can anyone recommend a good place locally to go to get these at a decent price for all 4 brake pads?.....

Edit : i got quoted 350$ for a pair of EBC redstuff....does this sound about right for just a pair? am i better off going bendex?

Edited by Razon

$350 seems a bit excessive for just the front brake pads. I got a brand called 'remsa' and they're a really good all round pad. I forgot exactly what I paid for them but it was well below $200 for the front pair. I purchased them from gslrallysport (they're an sau trader) Also depends what the car is for. is it street or track? bendix ultimates are dusty as shit and personally I'd steer clear of them just based on that. I have used them before and performance wise they're ok but not great. There shouldn't be a problem replacing all rotors and brake pads at the same time. As long as you bed the pads in properly. As for brake fluid I just use castrol super dot 4 and haven't had any problems with it.

hey, its going to be a street car and hopefully in the future a few track runs....

yeah i wasnt sure about the EBC being that high so i thought id throw it out there to see what people think, if they were good pads i wouldnt mind paying it....

Edited by Razon

For brake pads I would go QFM A1RM's (also supplied by gslrallysport), that's what we had on our R32 and they were great, they saw a couple of track days and after switching to these combined with Motul RBF600 brake fluid it made a very noticeable difference on the track. However, I haven't used them over a long period of time so I can't tell you how they wear or if they produce much brake dust.

Pads were somewhere about $150 from memory and brake fluid about $35 a bottle (this is probably overkill for a mainly street driven car though).

I have also heard that the Remsa pads are good.

qfm is a queenland company and i don't think any one have in stock in tas,the ultimate pads are a great daily drive pad with the occasional spirited drive.

the greens tuff pads are a great option on a street car because they have good cold brake feel and don't need ashit load of stops to work well like redtuff pads,I ran slotted standard disks and greentuff pads on my 32gtr and was able to get 4 laps aroud symons plains [62/63 sec laps] so not mucking around.

this combo had great cold feel and great hot feel,i consider to be a good alround combo,but i am sure every one has there own idea's.

the greentuff pads are available in hobart at petroject.i think

stuart

thanks nissan, ive never heard of petroject? where abouts in hobart is that? do you know roughly how much a set of 4 greenstuff will cost ?

read alot about keeping away from bendix so not a 100% keen on them...

think i might try and go with remsa pads....are they available locally in hobart anywhere? gotta try and get a set of pads before 10am tomorrow >.< not fun lol

also should i upgrade my brake lines while im there to braided lines? are these easy to find in tassie for r33's?

you probably won't get any in that time but they are well worth it

lowish dust, good bite, low rotor wear, quiet

get them from http://gslrallysport.com/shop/

if you buy 2 sets (2 fronts or front and rear etc) you get free postage

I run them in the front of my stagea and they are awesome, i don't drive it often and when i do its amazing :)

thanks pipster, will definatly try remsa in the future...was hoping i could have got them by tomorrow as thats when the cars booked in for the rotors to be replaced....kinda forgot about pads lol

whats the best local choice i should go for the time being? :(

use old pads to bed in new rotors (know to sometimes stuff the pads)

then whack new pads in and bed those in on newish rotor

win win

also, changing rotors is like 10x's harder than changing pads as the pads can be changed with the caliper still in place

If it's just a spiritedly driven Daily, Green stuff will be OK, as soon as you get them on the track for more than 2 laps, they WILL melt. Not even joking. Mine caught fire after a couple of laps.

If you're going to track it, I'd say Red stuff will be OK and better for dust. But the QFM A1RM's will perform better but you'll get a little dust.

If you're serious about the track, get Hawk DTC60, I got them in mine, friggin changed my life. OMG the difference was incredible, max braking G's went from 1.8 to 2.3. It actually hurts my face. Did like 10 laps and they didn't fade at all. AND they work Cold and even better hot so it suits me perfectly with my Drift and Time attack mix. Only down side to the Hawks is the price and the dust... oh the dust.

Bendix Ultimate, might as well put blocks of wood in there, had them on my VL and they were very average performance, over heated quickly and caught fire really easy, never again.

Brake fluid I just use the Castrol stuff that the dude in the shop told me to get. Always use a sealed new container for every time as condensation gets in the fluid and wrecks it. Haven't had a problem with it, I do change it often though.

There is nothing wrong with doing all the brakes at the same time, make sure you pump the pedal before leaving the workshop though, or you'll get to the end of the driveway and can't stop!!

Thats my 2c, if you're in Hobart and need a hand changing pads\rotors I'd be happy to help out :)

thanks alot Zoid when i replace the standard pads ill definatly shoot you a inbox :)

for the moment greenstuff seems to be what would suit me but later on i hope to see a track atleast once lol

got my rotors in and some new pads but fair sure the pads arnt very good but im not sure, has anybody heard of TRW's? thats what i was given so just put them in for the time being until i source some better brakes...

thanks again everyone for the help :)

Edited by Razon

yeah if i was too do track days id be considering Redstuff rather than green, just purely because the car wont see a track until it has been fully modded but for the moment im going to try and keep her stock standard apart from the usual bolt on upgrades until i know the car a bit more then ill consider larger power, next move is the suspension i reckon