SAU Community

Gulf Western Oil....

Razon

hey guys i just went to my local supercheap and they had a 5L container of Gulf Western 15-40w Oil and i mistakenly thought it was the Syn x type.....i was just wondering if anyone has used any of the other gulf western oils?

the one i have is Gulf Western Premium Gold, Premium Grade Sl/CF4

will it hurt my engine not being the Syn-X version? also is this a fully synthetic or mineral based.....? the current oil in my engine is unknown because i had only bought it a few months ago....

Edit: I know there is a goods on oil thread but ive read that and got the wrong GW....so any help with this version of oil is appreciated....if its not worth it ill just take it bcak and get some other oil...

Edited by Razon

Personally I'd take it back and get at least Syn X 3000.

If you're in a pickle, it'll be fine, but I wouldn't use it for an extended period. It'll be better than unknown old oil.

Edited by BuuBox

It won't hurt the engine, it will probably be better than what's in the engine now if you haven't changed it or don't trust the previous owner to serviced it.

Exchange it for Syn-X 3000. The cold rating (15w) is not ideal. 5w40 or 10w40 is more ideal.

thanks alot guys ill try and take it back and exchange... yeah after reading a bit more i realised the 15w is waay to thick for my climate conditions..ill take it back and exchange it...im fairly sure they dont have any Syn-X 3000/6000 so might have to go for Penrite HPR 5 - 5w-40...

as for the previous owners oil im not sure what they put in but it hasnt seemed to cause any problems as of yet so im sure another day or 2 wont hurt...

cheers for the fast replys!!