SAU Community

Time To Upgrade Exhaust...opinions Please..

Razon

hey every1 just wondering if you guys could give me your opinion on a new exhaust, ive been reading up on how i should get a 3inch and whatnot,

what im wondering is do you guys think im better off picking up a exhaust locally and buy seperate peices (which probably wont fit...) or buying a known brand exhaust system off the net ?

these are some i have in mind....

HKS silent high power (no linky)

Blitz nur spec R

http://justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=18544&cat=273&page=1

Kakimoto Regu 06&r

http://justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=16356&cat=447&page=1

high-flow cat vs a normal cat? for a street car is a high flow needed? i've been looking at a 3" venom high flow cat would that be suitable?

how onto it are our cops regarding exhausts and defects?

ive seen a load of shitboxes that sound louder than some harleys so do we have a high decibel rating or do our cops just not give a shit? would rather find this info out now rather than later seeing as i dont want to have to replace a new zorst just because a bunch of nazi's think its too loud...(or stuff around replacing my stock exhaust just for a clearence..)

and also if i plan on uprading my turbo then i need to upgrade my dump pipe? (anything else exhaust wise?) would i be better off doing this now or do that when im replacing turbo (so i can get the right fitments??)

i cant answer everything you've asked, but my car came with an hks super dragger cat back 3 inch, which was really quiet, JASMA approved, i had to get the mid muffler removed cause it had a hole and was making car too low when i got it back here, was still quiet, i recently put a jjr front dump and 5inch high flow cat and still is fine sound wise. the only problem i had with the jjr is when i got it installed the eshaust guy said it didnt bolt straight up, it had to be heated and shifted a bit....

cops are generally laid back here, unless you are hammering it high in the rev range.

ummm when you say is a high flow needed i guess it depends on what your plans on your car are, also when i emailed george from venom, he recommended the 5 inch body,

Have heard the Blitz Nur system on a S14 and they sound really nice! Haven't looked into flow between different set ups though.

Cops don't appear to read decibels in tas but on rare occasion that they set up a inspection station they do get you to rev your car. But in saying that my mate had to rev his standard celica to 3k but my s13 at the time with rims, bodykit, and in undercoat was expected to be revved to 5k. Moral of the story, if your carlooks modified they will probably put more pressure on you but they don't really have a clue.

thanks guys im still looking at which exhaust sounds best out of them lot, im guessing a local option probably isnt too good ?

zoid your right but ive had a few policey driving alongside me and havent bothered me so far so i cant be too much of a asshole :P (uptights probably think otherwise)

autumn if i go that route should i do it all in one go or do it seperately? and if i do should i go a local or get a a pre-made system? if so can you recommend one? :)

thanks guys, still undecided on what exhaust to go, dont mind spending a bit of $$ aslong as its a good setup for a decent street car

that bellmouth, is there a better one that i should go or is that more than enough for street? cheers

i've replied to your PM zoid :D

cheers zoid ill probably end up going that bellmouth, still deciding on the exhaust lol....nobody got any good/bad stories about blitz nur spec R? or any of the others listed....

thanks xrated ill give him a ring soon and see what he thinks, yeah will be getting a mild steel dump, most likely the one zoid linked me

will a local one still sound as good as these brand name ones or will they be more tinny? how much will a custom one set me back roughly?

Mild steel dumps went out with 202 reds and hotwires. What a crock of shit, had a just jap stainless dump on my car for 3 years and 55 thousand Kay's, 3 years of daily driving and about 8 track days. Now I have made my own, that's only done about 8 thousand Kay's and 2 or 3 track days. I had the just jap split dump, hardly top end product but did the job and sounded the part. Looked like brand new after 3 years, and 55k km's . If you want a half assed rusty piece of shit, go mild steel.

A good fabricator can 'target' a sound for you. But it's not an exact science. There are many other things that change the way your car sounds other than your exhaust.

Cheers

Justin