SAU Community

Starter To Forum And Skylines. Please Help !

SryupOnee

Hello all

I am very interested in purchasing a Skyline (preferably an R33) for my first car. Currently on my Learners permit but hoping to get one before I am 18 so I have time to get used to it. The point of this post is I know near nothing about Skyline's and which models are P Plate legal, what brand of parts are best, how much I should be looking to spend and so on. Any help at all on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all. :no:

Hahaha what kind of post is this??! Start reading before you start asking, theres a lot to learn and know about a lot of things. That is a massively open ended question :/ Happy to help you with more specific questions mate. goodluck!

haha yes mate trust me i know, basically i dont know where to start with the asking, i have been reading around, struggling to make sense on my own

what model of R33 should i be looking for which is P Plate legal?

No, turbocharged R33 are called R33 GTS-T. You want an R33 GTS. I recommend you google R33 Skylines and do a bit of research on them, then start looking for one.

GTS-T is the turbo version, if they're really GTS' they'll be non-turbo. WIth R34's they have dropped the S, so it's just GT (And GT-T for the turbo versions). (Not counting the twin turbs godzillas).

tl;dr

Like Birds said, GTS for 33's.

EDIT: Beaten to the worm by the Birdman.

Edited by kaitoukid

I've done some reading, and it seems the R33 GTS just gets thrashed with hate, just basically multiple people are saying the model is sluggish, slow, low acceleration, waste of time and money etc..

Is the car worth investing in, or simply try a different car

I've done some reading, and it seems the R33 GTS just gets thrashed with hate, just basically multiple people are saying the model is sluggish, slow, low acceleration, waste of time and money etc..

its a naturally aspirated 2.5L car that weighs around 1400kgs, it isnt going to be quick......

Pulsar>everything.

Really all depends on what you want from the car. As a p plater, you are restricted in choice, yes, but if you know you want out of the car, that's your first step imo. If you want a quick car, there are things quicker than NA skylines for sure (s2k's, ep3rs, golf r32's). Some luxury creature comforts? Different cars again. However, if you want a skyline, you want a skyline.

'bad rep' you probably see, imo, is because with turbo versions available, they really aren't all that quick (and essentially all complaints you've listed comes down to that fact... --> "not worth it") etc etc. Haven't driven an NA 33 myself, but I don't think they'd be as shit as an overall as you may have read... but it's all relative. If your criteria for shit car is $x money for y 1/4mile time, etc.

End of the day though, it's your choice. If you're happy with your decision, all is good.

1. R33 GTS. Well...I wouldn't think it's really worth anything. You'd be better off buying a new corolla. More punch and less problems. 2. Is there a blanket ban on kids driving anything turbocharged these days? (When I was on my Ps it used to just be power to weight but no one gave 2 stuffs anyway and still drove GTRs, supras etc. We used to get the older guys telling us that in their days there were NO limits and they were allowed to drink also :/ )

That is very helpful, and your right, if i want a Skyline, i want a Skyline.

Haha yes Mike, the car is limited to less than 8 Cylinders, cannot be Turbo Charged and may have no Engine Mods which increase it's power. A real big ball breaker for mu generation, yes it's all for safety, but it restricts our choice so much

like i tell all my p plater mates. buy something that will last until your off your p's. until this date, save save save.

then buy something you will really enjoy, rather than just an R33 GTST(not knocking them) as by the time you are off your P's, they will be rather outdated.