SAU Community

R32 drivetrain Query?? help please

I was just wondering on the R32 GTRs drivtrain and if it has, as i read on a site Full time 4wd?? Also what the difference between this and AWD is?? Are you able to change to RWD or not?? Also if you are unable to change it by the flick of a switch are you able to do it by a simple mod or would it require expensive custom work?? Any help would be mutch aprreciated thanx.

ok in the the R32 GTR and GTS-4 ( like mine ) you can use RWD by pulling the 4WD fuse under the bonnet. you can make up a switch that bypasses that very easily. you can also get a torque spilt device so you can choose how much goes to the front wheels.

Full time 4wd?? no 4WD ever available on Skylines

Common misconception, I'll try to explain better...

What's the difference between 4WD and AWD? Definitions vary, but 4WD has a special low range to help the vehicle in off-road conditions. Usually it's called 4L (4 Low). Under normal conditions, the vehicle is usually is in two-wheel-drive mode and goes into 4WD when the driver throws a switch. Most real trucks use this type of 4WD.

AWD systems have no such extra low range. They may be either full time, meaning the power is sent to all four wheels all of the time, or part time, also called on-demand, in which the power kicks into the other wheels when slippage is detected in the primary drive.

What comes on a GTR? Automatic AWD (which is controlled by the ATESSA system)

Are you able to change to RWD or not?? You can by either the dropping the front driveshaft (bit tedious if you don't know how), or, you can install an HKS ETS system, which is an Electronic Torque Splitter (hence the acronym) which allows you to control how the power is distributed on your drivetrain. Although you don't get FULL RWD, you get very close by locking the front to a maximum of I think it was 10% torque.

Also if you are unable to change it by the flick of a switch are you able to do it by a simple mod or would it require expensive custom work?? See above for methods, cost to drop a driveshaft should be next to none, a proper mechanic who's worked on GTR's should take no longer than 15 mins and a hoist to do it. (This is goin by the times it takes the boys at ICE performance to do it)