SAU Community

Amazing Restoration Of A Rare Ferrari!

Mavric

Hey Guys,

I know this is a Skyline but watching the restoration of such a pricless car is amazing!

So my buddy over in the US has detailed one of the rarest Ferrari's around. The car is worth $1,000,000 and was in some serious need of restoration.

Preventing your car from getting to this condition is always important as Larry talks about in his video sometimes you just cant tell how much paint is left on a car.

It's a long video but super cool and well worth a look hope you guys enjoy.

It's great to be honest, i like how it all changes in front of my eyes, I'm trying to learn all i can about detailing so this helped alot. The guy seems to be very passionate about his job too. I wish there were more people like him because most of the people that will clean your car don't give a shit about it.

My gf has an 86 and she took it for its first wash at a place in parklea, near the Hungry Jacks/Shell petrol station (Won't name it), it didn't look like they cared much about what they did, water spots everywhere, places missed. So it's nice to see people like the one in the vid who really care. Although there is a world of a difference between a car wash and car detailer.

Jack you are soo right about Larry he is SUPER passionate about his job and loves what hes does.

He's also a top guy more than happy to help.

Jack you GF's 86 that's not cool especially on a new car. The water marks on the car could be from the product which was applied and it has kind burnt away in the sun if that makes sense.

If you want to talk about getting it corrected let me know and I'm more than happy to see what I can do to help you out. Also if you are interested in AMMO let me know and I can help you out with getting some of that too.

Cheers

Matt

Yeah that is what the employee said after we took it back there, i understand why it happened, the problem is it's their job and that is not a good enough excuse for a customer.

Thanks a lot Matt, I'll keep that in mind. I think after my exams I'll give her car a proper wash and see what it looks like.

I do have a question though; With a car as new as a 2012 toyota 86, would it be harmful to the paint to start polishing it this soon? Only reason i ask is because after the wash i found swirl marks everywhere. I think it already had swirl marks but they stood out a lot more after the wash.

Thanks.

Hey Jack,

Yea I hear you best thing is too look for a better product which wont do the same thing. Let me know if you want more details.

Ok so should you be polishing a new car. Well in theory you shouldnt have to do it. If the car has been protected from day one using a wax or sealant then you shodulnt get swirl marks etc in the paint. Also using incorrect washing techniquest can lead to the introduction of swirls. If you are finding them then yes I would be suggesting to get the swirls out and start building up the layers of protection now. Swirls are very light scratches from basicly the cloth which is washing the car. It may have bits of dirt in it heaps of things can cause it.

Also keep in mind the term polishing is a loose term too. You can buy a polish which will "FILL" in the swirl marks and hide them so you cant see them. This isn't fixing the problem only hiding it. You really want to be correcting the paint by using a form of cutting compound to restore the paint. Now new paint you shouldnt need a harsh compoud just a very light polish which has little cutters in it. Sorry this is a bit confusing.

After you finish polish this is where you want to apply a layer of sealant and start applying wax. I would always recommend using a sealant that doesnt have a wax in it and a wax that doesnt have a sealant in it. Both products have a purpose and you want them to be seperate. Sealant is for protection and Wax is for your shine. Always good to keep that in midn too.

Although as you would have seen in Larry's video above even the AMMO Skin has a great shine to it. Its just when you apply Creme you get amazing depth as well which really shows up the car.

Hope this helps.

...sometimes you just cant tell how much paint is left on a car.

...sometimes you just cant tell how much paint is left on a car.

With a metal panel, using a paint thickness gauge is vital when restoring.

Even between GT-Rs, one has 323 microns to play with on a Bayside Blue VS2...

EugeneDetail14.jpg

...compared with only about 80 microns on an N1 - Compliments of Eugene aka JDM_Performance here on SAU

Eugene-15.jpg

Many thanks for sharing a labour of love on a rare Ferrari :)

Terry you are dead right.

Comparing one car to another shows that looking at the car it may look the same but cool tools like what you have displayed there really show up whats felt and how much room you have for error.

Hey Jack,

Yea I hear you best thing is too look for a better product which wont do the same thing. Let me know if you want more details.

Ok so should you be polishing a new car. Well in theory you shouldnt have to do it. If the car has been protected from day one using a wax or sealant then you shodulnt get swirl marks etc in the paint. Also using incorrect washing techniquest can lead to the introduction of swirls. If you are finding them then yes I would be suggesting to get the swirls out and start building up the layers of protection now. Swirls are very light scratches from basicly the cloth which is washing the car. It may have bits of dirt in it heaps of things can cause it.

Also keep in mind the term polishing is a loose term too. You can buy a polish which will "FILL" in the swirl marks and hide them so you cant see them. This isn't fixing the problem only hiding it. You really want to be correcting the paint by using a form of cutting compound to restore the paint. Now new paint you shouldnt need a harsh compoud just a very light polish which has little cutters in it. Sorry this is a bit confusing.

After you finish polish this is where you want to apply a layer of sealant and start applying wax. I would always recommend using a sealant that doesnt have a wax in it and a wax that doesnt have a sealant in it. Both products have a purpose and you want them to be seperate. Sealant is for protection and Wax is for your shine. Always good to keep that in midn too.

Although as you would have seen in Larry's video above even the AMMO Skin has a great shine to it. Its just when you apply Creme you get amazing depth as well which really shows up the car.

Hope this helps.

Yeah true, I'm starting to get the hang of all this, lots of theory in my head but i need to put it to practice. If you could fill me in on products you have had a good experience with i would appreciate it as i am about to stock up on car cleaning products. Hmm would be interesting to know how thin my paint is by now. What is a 'healthy' reading?

Just to clarify, Matt, It's polish -> Wax - Seal or Polish -> seal -> wax ?

I'm going to buy a lambswool washing mitt and a waffle weave drying towel. I always hate when my synthetic chamois gets dirty, i don't like using a dirty chamois to dry my car but it's hard to get those things clean after a couple uses.

Polish > Sealant > Wax

Overall...

* Wash (with a quality item without wax in it)

* Clay Bar (if necessary, with equivalent lubricant - and there are different grades of clay too)

* Polish (again of a certain quality & grade)

* Sealant (preferably on a low humidity day)

* Wax (containing Canauba)

Thanks Terry :)

About the clay bars, i am familiar with them, i've used the Mothers one that comes with 2 clay bars, quick detailer and a mircofibre cloth. It worked great, however when i browsed online retailers they had different grades of clay, what is the difference between them??

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the late replies. Been a busy weekend.

Jack Terry is spot on with his process.

In regards to the clays I personally use Clay Magic. I have been using it for years and always had great results with it. May not be the cheapest on the market but does a good job.

You want to have different grades of clay to cater for different condition. So for example a roof bonnet and boot are going to have a lot more fall out sitting on them than for eg a door. So you will use a stronger / stickier clay on those areas and then a fine grade on a door.

As noted before clay will remove wax's and sealants so if you ever have to clay an area which has protection applied remember to reapply your protection.

Also if you have a car which when you rub your hand over it is a little rough but doesn't feel like sand paper then a fine clay will be sufficient to remove the contaminants. But if it does feel like sand paper then something a bit stickier will do the trick.

Also Jack check out another of Larry's Video's. He talks quickly about clay and shows you how to use it in case you haven't seen it in depth before.

Ah i see, i get the grades now thanks :) .

Yeah i picked up on clay bars and all that about 2 months ago, but i missed the grade part as it doesn't get covered as much, i also forgot they strip off wax :whistling: .

Thanks for filling me in Matt.

Jack,

Yea the grades are I would say not the most important of things. If you have already corrected the paint then in theory if you are applying your sealant / wax often then the buildup of contaminants shouldnt happen and you shoudlnt need to repeat the clay.

There are some isntances where this won't happen but in an ideal world that would be the case.

Cheers,

Matt

Terry, a number that high would suggest that panel has been painted (after factory) at some point. Not necessarily all paint either, could be a lot of primer etc...

Matt: the first vid, i'm thinking... oh hey, that's Paul Dalton... looks heaps similar side on! but then you talk about a US guy....

You've seen Damian's F40 work haven't you? they did a big job on that... cleaned the coilovers with cotton ear bud things etc... pretty cool :)

EDIT: that clay video is.... interesting... i'm assuming he's going to be paint correcting after, but getting stuck into it like that would have induced some marring, but what was more interesting is how thin he gets his clay before claying? and afterwards it's got holes in it it's that thin.... definitely different. Not something that i would show someone how to do, but he's obviously got his reasons as it's his full-time profession... just haven't see that before though