SAU Community

CLUTCH??? IN 4TH and 5TH???

I have just this week noticed that when my R33 GTS-T hits boost (only 10 psi) at around 3000rpm in 4th or 5th gear (under moderate to heavy throttle) that the revs initially rise quickly (without as much thrust!) and then dip slightly before continuing to boost OK...

Could this be the clutch slipping???

It feels a lot like it, but I've only ever blown clutches (admittedly in FWD cars) in lower gears and usually when revs are high!!!

Is it the torque that causes the clutch to slip??? It doesn't slip and dip in any lower gears!!!

Could it be a boost pressure issue??? I have a basic bleed valve installed. I can't think why this would cause this but I'm certainly no mechanic!!!

IDEAS??? I already did some searches and came up empty!!!

Ta!

iijj

Clutch is gone mate. Don't drive it like that for too long either or you'll have to get your flywheel re-machined as well (is that one word or two?)

Happened to me mates R33 gtst. and my nanna's camry.

I have just this week noticed that when my R33 GTS-T hits boost (only 10 psi) at around 3000rpm in 4th or 5th gear (under moderate to heavy throttle) that the revs initially rise quickly (without as much thrust!) and then dip slightly before continuing to boost OK...  

Could this be the clutch slipping???

It feels a lot like it, but I've only ever blown clutches (admittedly in FWD cars) in lower gears and usually when revs are high!!!

Is it the torque that causes the clutch to slip???  It doesn't slip and dip in any lower gears!!!

Could it be a boost pressure issue???  I have a basic bleed valve installed.  I can't think why this would cause this but I'm certainly no mechanic!!!

IDEAS???  I already did some searches and came up empty!!!

Ta!

iijj

I think u need a new clutch. Ur case is just like wat had happened to me before. Starts to slip only at high speed (4th n 5th gear).

same thing happened to me. up a steep hill, in fourth. You should be able to tell by the burning smell that will eminate from the car. I drove mine for a couple of weeks until I had enough money for a new clutch. Just be careful when you feel it start to go change down and back off.

Welcome to the clutch slip club.....

1. Wind boost to stock....

2. Dont accel hard in 3rd 4th or 5th.

3. Start saving those $$$ I'm trying to save the $900 i need for a Heavy Duty mother...

Bummmmmmmer........

So, anyone know a decent place to price a clutch up here in Brissie???

I don't think I can afford a heavy duty clutch if they're $900 fitted!!!

How much do the standard clutches go for, including fitting, and ...

where should I get one???

I hardly ever drop the clutch in first, but I don't want it to blow again inside a couple of years either. Would I be better with a heavy duty item??? I'm only producing around 140KW atw...

Suggestions...

iijj

PS Hey, how long, if I nurse it somewhat, until it will give up altogether???

I would advice u to save up a bit to get a heavy duty clutch. Labour for changing clutch is the same so y not save up for a heavy duty one then. Say if u decided to upgrade you engine one day, u dont hv to change ur clutch again. Look a bit further!

Iijj , quote for me was 350 for standard clutch and 550 for heavy duty. twin plates go up and up from there... i plan on making more than 200RWKW so a heavy duty is rated to the 300 rwkw range. If i wanted to make over 300 RWKW (read many $$$$$) I'd have gone for a twin or Triple plate item.

Personally get the best you can afford, cause there's nothing worse than making more power and the stock car parts can't handle it ;)..... I guess that's half the fun tho...:D

Loz

Thanks guys...

I'm waiting for a quote tomorrow. From what ur saying, I can count on b/w $600 and $900, depending on standard or heavy duty (and fitting)!?! Is that right???

If anyone else knows of a good shop in Bris North, speak up!!!

Thanks!!!

iijj

Try x-clutches they have been in Zoom magazine, they are in QLD and at underwood somewhere.

They have stock, heavy duty twin plates tripple plates, they are made here in Australia using stuff they don't tell anyone.

In Zoom they had a silvia or skyline doing around 400-500HP, and ask x-clutches about what to get and they said get our special coated stock plate and it'll handle it.

Anyway sus them out.