SAU Community

Right Power For Mods?

wild31

hi all,, i have a 1990 r32 gtr, purchased with most of mods done by previous owner. when i brought the car i was told it was running 290atwkw on 17psi, with mods, which include, r34 gtr N1 turbos, hks cam gears, sard 800cc fuel rail, injectors to suit, walbro fuel pump, apexi pods, hks to intercooler plumbing and blow off valves, stock intercooler, ally radiator, has a full stainless apexi exhaust, and that all i can think of from memory.

i recently had the car in for some other work,minor stuff. but also got the car tuned to run e85, it came back running 294.9atwkw, at around 23psi

i qustioned the previous owner and he swears black and blue that it made 290kw when he owned it.

is this an average amount of power for mods and e85,

or is there something wrong with the car where its lost power, but ifso i thought the tuner would be able to pick up on this?

any help or thoughts would be great cheers. :yes:

hey sorry forget to add, it was tuned at the same place. but when i got it tuned on e85 it was in rwd as im having problems with front drivshaft. i did ask them to put fuse in for tune,,, but they didnt lol. when it was tuned the first time with previous owner it was in 4wd. both on same dyno from same place. im just abit confused..

no i didnt, because i just thought the previous owner must have bullshitted me. but i just spoke to im and he swears it made 290kw, im waiting on a pic of dyno slip. not sure anout injectors being maxed it has sard 800cc, didnt think they would be?

E85 is not a promised top end power increase, there are factors involved.

I bet you are not running 23psi @ 8000rpm, -7s (R34 N1s) and -9s (GT-SS) in just about every graph I have seen, fall over above 7000rpm to around 18psi by 8000rpm give/take as they are simply small turbos. Hence why they are so responsive.

The only user that's claimed a good 40rwkw gain (with 5-6psi), hasn't come close to running a MPH that remotely backs that up, jury is still out on that one :)

Splitting hairs - You'd probably expect to be around 300-320rwkw, but i say near enough - and check the midrange. That's where you should be looking on -7s/-9s

thanks for your input.. the dyno graph i have really doesnt show much, its a real basic graph. not really happy with that either, im more than happy with the power it has. just was confused abit and wasnt sure if the car could have lost power somewhere along the line, cheers

:yes:

You could check the exhaust for a restriction, make sure it doesn't have any in-built restrictors (lots of Jap exhausts have 2.5" restrictors before mufflers, internally).

Otherwise try get the old graph and the new one overlaid. That'd give you a good idea as well.

But definately get a boost read out, i would be surprised if there is 23psi above 7500rpm

Ah and have a look @ that - 18psi in the top end :merli:

Although it was never running 23psi mate - It only gets to 20psi and immediately falls. It should hold 20psi a bit longer before it falls over IMO. Which would give you a meatier mid range.

ahaha sorry dude, new to all this turbo stuff lol, owned a v8 before, sorry for my uneducation, i didnt understand what line meant what..... now i do cheers lol. feel like a goose now