SAU Community

Lowerd Springs/Shox or Coilovers

Hey guys,

I have some confusion in relation to suspension.

I own a S14a and it seems that I may need new rear shocks soon. I want to lower the car, and thought it would be a good time to do so. The only problem is that I have a few issues, as I want the best cost effective solution.

If some could assist to answering my q's that would be great.

1 - Is it a good option to go for Lowered springs and shox, instead of coilovers

2 - Can I just get lowered springs for the car and keep the same shocks

3 - If I take option 2 can I always just get a matched lowered shock for the lowerd springs I purchased ?

4 - If a spring fits over the shock doesnt this make it a Coil over? (I understood a coilover was a spring that went over the shock??)

5 - Just by looking at my springs and shocks, it looks as if the spring is going over the shock, so does this mean I have coilovers, or just standard spring and shocks combination?

Thanks guys, I know I may seem a bit "blonde" about the questions, but there are just so many different options to take and The more I talk to someone, the more confused I get about the differences...

If anyone knows of a good cheap combo for me, that would be great. I got a price on Pedders sports ryders 4 lowerd springs and 4 lowered shocks for about $1400... Is this as cheap as they come?

Thanks guys.

HiOOSHAM, before I get into answering your questions a few quick explanations.

The term "Coil Overs" usually means not only are the coils mounted over (around) the shocks, but they are height adjustable as well. This is achieved via the lower spring seat which sits on a thread on the shock. You wind it up to raise the car and wind it down to lower it.

1 - Is it a good option to go for Lowered springs and shox, instead of coilovers

If you don't want to adjust the height, then there is no other difference. There are good and bad coil overs just the same as there are good and bad shock and springs.

2 - Can I just get lowered springs for the car and keep the same shocks

Not if you want a good result handling wise, it will look OK though. Shocks have a life (they wear out), most need replacing at around 60K's. If your car has done more than 60k's then it probably needs new shocks anyway.

3 - If I take option 2 can I always just get a matched lowered shock for the lowerd springs I purchased ?

Yep, again there are good matches and mismatches

4 - If a spring fits over the shock doesnt this make it a Coil over? (I understood a coilover was a spring that went over the shock??)

Refer above

5 - Just by looking at my springs and shocks, it looks as if the spring is going over the shock, so does this mean I have coilovers, or just standard spring and shocks combination?

No adjustable lower spring seat = normal struts

Adjustable lower spring seat = coil overs

6.Thanks guys, I know I may seem a bit "blonde" about the questions, but there are just so many different options to take and The more I talk to someone, the more confused I get about the differences...

Have a read of the articles here (especially the 200SX and Siliva), it will explain most things you ned to know

www.whiteline.com.au

7. If anyone knows of a good cheap combo for me, that would be great. I got a price on Pedders sports ryders 4 lowerd springs and 4 lowered shocks for about $1400... Is this as cheap as they come?

Also as nasty as they come, try Whiteline much better stuff (better engineering) not much more expensive.

Hope that helps

Thanks SydneyKid...You got some awsome info there.

I've figured out what Im doing ->

Im just gonna get some lowered springs for the tiem being. and then replace my shocks when I get enough money. At least it Ill have the car lowered for the mean time and when I get the cash ready Ill upgrade my springs.

I had my springs looked at over the weekend, They said I should have about another 20,000 K's out of them...

Im not going for pedders, I spoke to a few mates who didnt have the most positive thigns to say about them.

I saw some King springs which were pretty well priced...Have heard ok things about them so far.

I was going to buy some second hand Jap suspension (Tein) but most of the places dont know how many k's they have done on them..and didnt want too much hassles from second hand suspension.

Hi oossham, you need to think about labour and confirm the costs. In order to change the springs, the shocks have be removed, new springs placed on them and then put back in the car. When you buy new shocks this has to be done all over again. Add up the costs and you will find labour is 50% of the cost. If you don't duplicate this, then you save a fair bit of money.

My suggestion (for what it's worth) save up and get them both done at once.

The guys im giong through quoted me $100 for labour to change the springs

they said If I chose to get shockers through them at a later stage, all I'd have to pay is the cost of the shocks, they said they'd fit it for no charge, as long as I buy it through them : )

But I know what u mean.

cost of springs are $125 a pair

Hioosham, you should read this thread.....

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=41163

As HSVKLR said..........................

I can account for this same bouncing effect too. I lowered my car using King springs and now it handles like a sack of sh!t.

As SydneyKid said - the shocks just aint up to it